SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never had a car equipped with direct (sensors) TPMS before as this system is not mandatory in Canada.
Noticed that it can be done with V-DASH and I was wondering if this would be a worthwhile retrofit to do.
For those of you with this system, is it good ? Bad ? Worth the hassle?

On a side note, I retrofitted indirect (ABS based) TMPS in my 2010 Passat but the delay between an actual pressure loss and the light to come up was so long that the system was nearly useless...

·
Registered
775 Posts
Sure! Its helped me at one point. Got a nail before getting on the freeway; light popped on and I was able to get off the freeway before the tire was completely flat. Not necessary by any means but helpful, sure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
I've had direct TPMS on several cars now, before the move back to indirect. I think I had one time over probably 200k miles of driving where I picked up a nail in the middle of a snowstorm and it warned me. Given the cost of the sensors and the installation (dismounting, installation) I don't know that I'd go out of my way to add it but that's just my opinion. I very much prefer the indirect system - no sensors to deal with.

·
Registered
697 Posts
We've had the ABS-based indirect system on our last few cars and prefer not needing sensors for our winter wheels. We've been looking at XC70s: do the 2015.5 & 2016s use the direct or indirect TPMS system?

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
We've had the ABS-based indirect system on our last few cars and prefer not needing sensors for our winter wheels. We've been looking at XC70s: do the 2015.5 & 2016s use the direct or indirect TPMS system?
Total guess on my part but I'd be thinking direct TPMS on the last two years for the XC70, just based on the fact that it was an outgoing platform. Best way to check is to look at the valve stems - direct TPMS will have metal valve stems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts