SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would love to collect info about how towing is with the new XC90.

Show us photos of your hitch!!

Tell us how the mpg is!

Really looking forward to hearing how the T8 tows, as well.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I reluctantly cancelled my NA tow hitch today. Buying the Urban Styling kit as an alternative is not feasible for me. Hopefully, a better design is coming. Nonetheless, I will be interested in the towing experiences, too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I reluctantly cancelled my NA tow hitch today. Buying the Urban Styling kit as an alternative is not feasible for me. Hopefully, a better design is coming. Nonetheless, I will be interested in the towing experiences, too.
Can you elaborate how the Urban Styling Kit changes things? Mine has it with the hitch, but i was thinking the hitch implementation will be even worse because of the skid plates?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
GrecianVolvo posted in another thread that the kit includes a provision for the tow hitch. I have the skid plates and don't see what he's talking about either, except for possibly having a square hole in the black plastic above the bumper for wiring, but not the hitch itself.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Here is a cross-thread on the tow hitch experiences, et al for 2014 XC90's and older. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?233228-Factory-tow-package&highlight=tow+hitch. It may not be apples-to-apples when it comes to 2016 XC90 and the newer T6/T8 (and D5) engines.

Have you checked out the NA/US owners manuals? I read a couple of things that caught my eye in the US T8 owners manual under "Driving with a trailer":
- When your vehicle is new, avoid towing heavy trailers during the first 620 miles (1,000 km) - This makes some sense.
- Maximum speed when towing a trailer: 50 mph (80 km/h) - This seems too low.

This speed is too low and a bit concerning, particularly for US Interstate travel. What does your owner's manual say for your model? I would not have been too surprised with a maximum 60 mph (90 km/h). Might this be only a T8 limitation?

I also noticed in the same manual under the "Stowing the ball holder" that the pictures and details reference a compartment for the detachable trailer hitch. This looks to be a T6 picture since the T8 as I understand does not come with an emergency spare. (This might be an error in the T8 US manual, or I am in error.)

Anyway, I hope to get a tow hitch on my XC90 eventually - for light/moderate towing and for a bike rack. The invisible mount installations are much more elegant, more appealing and can address the NA specs (e.g., height, mount) I am forever optimistic that the "all new" XC90 will get an "all new" tow hitch design, or at least a Volvo-approved aftermarket solution.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The picture on page 362 of the North American T8 manual is indeed incorrect. The actual compartment is shown (in a different context) on page 451. The picture below is from the UK T8 manual, though most UK T8s will likely have the foldaway tow hitch.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you checked out the NA/US owners manuals? I read a couple of things that caught my eye in the US T8 owners manual under "Driving with a trailer":
- Maximum speed when towing a trailer: 50 mph (80 km/h) - This seems too low.

This speed is too low and a bit concerning, particularly for US Interstate travel. What does your owner's manual say for your model? I would not have been too surprised with a maximum 60 mph (90 km/h). Might this be only a T8 limitation?
That 50 mph recommendation is very concerning. I would not have been surprised if it said "55" since that is the law on U.S. highways, afaik. If this 50 mph recommendation is real, then that takes the T8 off my list. If all Volvo intends is for you to tow your boat from your home along low-speed roads to a boat ramp, then no American who uses a camper will buy the T8.

I've always been worried about towing with a hybrid. This fact is troubling. I'm glad we're having this discussion.

Am wondering what the T6 manual says. Can someone check? (it's probably online, and since I started the thread I guess it's on me to check)

·
Registered
239 Posts
The online owner's manual doesn't separate the T6 from T8 as far as I could tell. It looks like the max speed of 50 mph is for ALL of the XC90's. Now I'm sure this is for liability reasons, but could it be used to deny a warranty claim if something breaks and the black box in the car tells the dealer you were driving 65 or 70? Also on the next page (this is pp 350-352 btw) it says tow rating only up to 3280 ft and for every so many feet of elevation above that its reduced by 10% per so many feet. (Sorry for not quoting it exactly, I didn't write it down so I'm paraphrasing).

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Here is a link to AAA's summary of towing speeds:
U.S. - https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/trailer-speed-limits/
CAN.- https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/trailer-speed-limits/#quickjumpCanada

As you will see, it varies considerably from state-to-state. Some states and provinces are at 50 mph or lower, but most are above 50, and many at the same speed as passenger cars with the caveat of safe and reasonable for the conditions. At a glance, I thought it was capability limitation. Now, I concur with Dude174 that liability (and safety) concerns is/are "driving" this. My 2007 4Runner does not have a speed limitation, but the newer model years may if the court cases side with failure to warn theories. (Have you ever wondered why there are so many warnings on the side of an aluminum ladder? Well, now I am talking to myself.) I don't think I will lose anymore sleep over the maximum towing speed limitation.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Reviving an old thread with more owners out there now, wondering how towing is faring for the XC90's? I primarily bought the T6 for my wife and family car, with most trips either bike hitch rack or cargo box hitch rack, but I do have a Malibu VLX boat that I use from time to time, but end up borrowing relative's truck or large SUV. Wondering how this would do with a T6.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Yes, it would be good to hear from those who have the tow hitch. As for me, no car yet but soon.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I attempted to to tow today and kind of failed. I purchased a Tokonsha Prodigy RF wireless brake controller. Unfortunately the hand held unit refused to pair with the RF module on the trailer. After calling tech support they said they had issues with european cars and the fact they do a trailer bulb check. The car in fact asked if I wanted to do a trailer bulb diagnostic when I connected it to the trailer. I was told I need to find a non euro car to pair the two units. So, beware of using a wireless brake controller with the XC90.

That being said I did tow my race car (4000-4500lbs) around the block with no trailer brakes to see how it felt. I went up a moderate grade and the car didn't miss a beat. The engine sound was a bit louder than normal, but other than that no drama. Coming back down the hill the car slowed with only slightly more effort on the brake pedal. I was so relived, since I had been really worried about towing with a 4 cyl.

I'll report back when I get the brake controller working and take it on the highway and up the very steep hill to my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think this was posted before, but just wanted to take the excerpt from the manual:

Max. trailer weights
USA: Without brakes: 1,650 lbs With brakes (AWD): 5,000 lbs With brakes (FWD): 4,000 lbs Max. tongue weight AWD: 500 lbs FWD: 400 lbs
Canada: Without brakes: 750 kg With brakes (AWD): 2,250 kg With brakes (FWD): 1,800 kg Max. tongue weight AWD: 225 kg FWD: 180 kg

The maximum trailer weights listed are only applicable for altitudes up to 3,280 ft (1000 m) above sea level. With increasing altitude the engine power and therefore the car's climbing ability are impaired because of he reduced air density, so the maximum
trailer weight has to be reduced accordingly. The weight of the vehicle and trailer must be reduced by 10% for every further 3,280 ft (1,000 m) (or part thereof). When towing 5,000 lbs (2,250 kg) hill inclination is restricted to 14%.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I looked up my Malibu VLX boat with full tank of gas and other stuff, over 6,000 lbs! Oh well, will have to resort to borrowing another vehicle for that.

·
Registered
99 Posts
no issues. but it was a fairly sedate first tow; no long hills. only major obstacle was the really steep, but short, hill to my house. up and down like a champ!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts