SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are towing a pop-up trailer (just under 2000#) with our 1985 745. We have lowered progressive rate springs and without any air support, the car settles down a little too much in the rear when the trailer is hitched up.<p>I have ordered Monroe air shocks and think that will do the trick. Anyone tried these?<p>Power for towing isn't a problem as the car was converted (Oh heresy) to a ZZ4 Chevy crate motor with the LT4 cam. Motor dyno'd at 435 at the crankshaft. Tied to a T700 overdrive trans and the heavy dana rear end - the car started life as a GLE turbo diesel - towing is a breeze with a good trans cooler.<p>I just want to raise the rear back to normal ride height.<p>Thanks for any insight.<p>Tony

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Towing with my 745 (adesnick)

Try (re)arranging the load in the trailer so that the downward pressure of the hitch is near zero.<p>George Dill

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Re: Towing with my 745 (gdill2)

The tongue weight should be no more than 10% of the loaded weight of the trailer, and that weight has to be included in the maximum allowed rear axle weight. If your maximum rear axle weight is, say, 800lbs and you have 750lbs loaded without the trailer, you'll have to balance out the weight between the car and the trailer to get the rear axle load down to 800lbs. To do this you may have to go to a weight distribution hitch, which will balance out the weight on all axles on both the car and trailer..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts