SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: Towing with a S40/V40? (JustsayMo)

It depends on how big the trailer is. I would not tow anything that weighs more than 2,000 lbs.

Yannis

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Towing with a S40/V40? (JustsayMo)

I put the Volvo hitch onto my '01 V40. (I got the impression that the dealership in DC doesn't do this often, so they were not very helpful with questions.)

I use it to pull a small frame trailer for my scooter. The combined weight is about 500 lbs, and I have not noticed any strain on the engine, even going up hill at highway speeds.

In hindsight, I would NOT have gotten the Volvo set up for three reasons: 1) it was more expensive 2) the Volvo hitch system is different from the US standard and Volvo only makes a 1 7/8" ball. You will notice that almost all trailers today - even very small ones, fit a 2" ball 3) you need an adaptor to go from the European round 7 hole plug to fit a standard US flat 4 plug.

But other than that, I have been happy.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: Towing with a S40/V40? (mrb.dc)

quote:

I use it to pull a small frame trailer for my scooter. The combined weight is about 500 lbs, and I have not noticed any strain on the engine, even going up hill at highway speeds.
500 lbs? Of course, that is not a problem! That's like having two fat people in your car...you would not expect your car to be straining with them on board, would you? http://********************/smile/emwink.gif

Volvo does supply a 2" ball...who told you that we only carry 1 7/8"???

Yannis

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Towing with a S40/V40? (GrecianVolvo)

Volvo does supply a 2" ball...who told you that we only carry 1 7/8"???

According to the parts dept at Martens Volvo, the Volvo customer service 800 number, and all printed and on-line accessories catalogs that I have seen, only the 1 7/8" ball is available for the V40. (Again, talking about the "official" Volvo detachable hitch system.)

If you know of a 2" ball that will fit on to my hitch, I would be very interested...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts