SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with real world towing experience? i have a T8 on order. with the $1,000 plus tow package (port installed I guess) coming in January. Anyone using this Volvo tow package option? Does it come with an electric trailer brake, or pre wiring for one? Anyone installed an electric trailer brake? Any brand suggestion, mounting locations, etc?

The trailers I will be towing are around 4,000 pounds loaded (T8 rated for 5,000).

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Anyone with real world towing experience? i have a T8 on order. with the $1,000 plus tow package (port installed I guess) coming in January. Anyone using this Volvo tow package option? Does it come with an electric trailer brake, or pre wiring for one? Anyone installed an electric trailer brake? Any brand suggestion, mounting locations, etc?

The trailers I will be towing are around 4,000 pounds loaded (T8 rated for 5,000).
I installed a two-way radio transceiver in my 2007 XC90 - radio in the back near the battery and radio control head up front. This was a major project: removed seats - very difficult to get the wiring from the front to the rear of the vehicle.

I decided against doing this for my 2012 XC90 ...

You probably want to consult with the dealer on this - with the battery in the center ... if you run wires yourself you'll want to find the best route without interfering with existing systems. I did look at the trailer hitch instructions a few months ago - and I think it mentioned something about the wiring ... but I couldn't find the link to the docs just now. That may provide you with more info on what's available in the existing vehicle wiring system / harness.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I used a wireless controller with my '13 Santa Fe and plan to do same with next TV. Currently thinking XC90, Q5/Q7 or GLC300.
Granted, I tow less than 1000 lbs but reliability of wireless has been good.

http://www.smallrvs.ca/?page_id=151

·
Registered
99 Posts
The XC90 factory trailer wiring does come with a provision to wire up a brake controller. It's a loose blue wire about 3' from the 7-pin connector (installation instructions see #76). I decided I didn't want to hard wire the controller into my leased XC90 and went with the Tekonsha Prodigy RF (noted in the prior post) brake controller.

A WORD OF WARNING! The Prodigy RF will not pair in the 2016 XC90.

I called Tekonsha and they said it had to do with the bulb out warning system on EU cars. The XC90 did come up with an option to check the trailer lights when I connected it. I was forced to borrow my sister in-law's Honda Pilot to pair the hand held unit to the wireless controller. Now that is paired it works just fine in the XC90. I'm just worried about what happens if it unpairs somewhere in the middle of nowhere? Guess I'll just need to keep my fingers crossed and hope it never happens.

I've towed around town 4000-4500lbs and have not had an issue. There is a very steep hill leading up to my house and the XC90 (w/ brakes) has gone up and down without issue. Towing feels way more stable in the XC90 than it did in my E70 X5. I have yet to take it on the highway, but will report back when I do.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I've an European towbar and tow this 4400lbs caravan:

From the above I recognize two items:
- The trailer connector comes with a constant power supply. Hover on the T8 that's not constant. I had to use the start switch to start-up the trailer control brake system;
- The bulb-warning system of the trailer can be enabled or disabled in the settings menu.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The bulb-warning system of the trailer can be enabled or disabled in the settings menu.
I wonder if this will allow for pairing for the wireless controllers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've an European towbar and tow this 4400lbs caravan:

From the above I recognize two items:
- The trailer connector comes with a constant power supply. Hover on the T8 that's not constant. I had to use the start switch to start-up the trailer control brake system;
- The bulb-warning system of the trailer can be enabled or disabled in the settings menu.
Conradi - congrats on a beautiful T8 and great set-up.
I am thinking about ordering a T8 as a tow vehicle for our boat+trailer = 4100lb.
I am curious about how far the T8 will tow that kind of load before the battery is fully drained.
If it does not last long, it seems you are then carrying around the extra weight of a dead battery with just 4 cylinders doing the work.
Can you tell us, how far have you towed your caravan?
Thanks!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thanks!

My full e-range is about 40 km (24 m). The caravan I only pulled to the winter storage, a distance of about 9 km (5 m), small roads with limit speed. The range (with or without towing) is heavily depending on drive style and speed. If you want to tow 4000 lbs at 50 mph, the battery will be drained after about 8-10 miles I guess.

But, that’s not so important. First of all it's a hybrid so you also have some benefits when the battery is empty by regenerating energy downhill for example. Even a small amount, I live in a flat country, is enough to support you when take-off. Secondly the e-traction is very handy when manoeuvring with a trailer. The torque at low speed is simply suburb.

·
Registered
7 Posts
thanks for the quick response, Conradi.

Just to clarify my question, I guess I was asking about towing in hybrid mode, not pure e-drive. I would hope a fully charged battery would last more than 8-10 miles in hybrid mode, even while towing 4000lb.

Regardless, it sounds like you have not really put it through the paces yet. We will wait to hopefully hear from others with real-world experience.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Your welcome cmleys ;)

I was discussing hybrid as well. Please note in hybrid mode the T8 will use the e-energy when possible. Only when we are discussing high speed - e.g. in France you're allowed to drive 130 kh (80 mph) while towing - you would drive on petrol. But normally the T8 will use the e-traction when battery charge available.

The difference between the Pure-mode and the Hybrid-mode is only the switching position from e-traction to petrol. The T8 doesn't have na electricity-only mode. On the other hand the T8 has a Petrol-only mode, where the battery level is saved for future use and even charged when the level is below 30%.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts