SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and didn't find much so I figured I'd put up the question to everyone.
We have an '01 V70 T5 that I purchased a couple years back with the intent of eventually towing. It's pretty much been yard waste to date, but we finally picked up a pop-up camper late last Fall, so we haven't had a chance to tow it yet (was doing brakes when I had to get it so a friend helped).

My main question is if there's anything different in towing with a wagon versus a pick-up/SUV? I've done that a bit years ago, but only tow smaller items once in a great while, hence the wagon over SUV choice. Would it be smart to maybe pick up a stabilizer bar for between the car and camper? Anything else to consider? I did a test run to check everything and the only thing I didn't like was I couldn't see out the back window due to the height! Ha ha! Any input would be appreciated!

Oh...and anyone ever do much towing through the mountains with one of these? Might be going to Yellowstone late this Summer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I used to tow a popup and a 2-place snowmobile trailer with my S80. It towed nice, and was stable. For an extended drive I would suggest some strap-on mirror extensions however. Makes the world of difference in traffic.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Re: Towing question. (alstensby)

I'd recommend changing the fluid in the tranny, and perhaps adding an additional transmission cooler. When I quiried my dealer about a cooler, he said I didn't need one, so i didn't. I didn't realize the trannys were that weak on these cars, but I didn't have any problems, and still don't, but only pulled a pop-up once about 400 miles in the cool spring, and have serviced the fluid every 50K miles on my 2001 V70 T5a

Jerry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.