SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wondering, would it be possible to Tow my MK3 Harlequin Golf with my V70 T5M? or would it be too heavy? the Harlequin weighs in at a curb weight of 2550lbs.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Easy as long as your hitch is rated for it. I towed about that in my 99 GLT granted its not the same car but if the hitch is a 2" you should be fine.
For my car max was 3000 lbs with a 2" hitch. Wouldn't try it with a 1.25" though.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
T5M's are getting rare...Why trash it? Get a truck.
Really? like how rare? My harlequin is #157 of #264 world wide, how many T5M's were built? Definitely don't want to trash it, that's why I wanted to know first!

Easy as long as your hitch is rated for it. I towed about that in my 99 GLT granted its not the same car but if the hitch is a 2" you should be fine.
For my car max was 3000 lbs with a 2" hitch. Wouldn't try it with a 1.25" though.
Thing im worried about is that the only listed towing cap. I could find was a max. of 3300lbs which is more then enough for the car, what im concerned about is the added weight of the trailer pushing it over. How much does a car trailer weigh in at?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Uhaul says the empty weight of their car trailer is 2200ish. Depending on what trailer you have it definitly could push you over the limit. If you can, take it to a towing shop and see if they can estimate your trailer weight.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Here's a link to the OM section that includes towing specs:
http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/1999/1999_SV70/99sv70_079.htm

As for rarity, just try to find one. People keep wrecking'em and blowin'em up...
Towing is hard on any rig, especially pulling up hills. I just hate to see a nice
car that's shrinking in numbers get used up. That's what trucks are for.
I'd look for a VW diesel P/U from back in the day to drag that car around.
THAT would be completely appropriate and quite a rarity!

At any rate, the Harlequin sounds cool.
Post some picks and Best of Luck!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Really? like how rare? My harlequin is #157 of #264 world wide, how many T5M's were built? Definitely don't want to trash it, that's why I wanted to know first!

Thing im worried about is that the only listed towing cap. I could find was a max. of 3300lbs which is more then enough for the car, what im concerned about is the added weight of the trailer pushing it over. How much does a car trailer weigh in at?
Per VCNA, there were 127 98 V70 T5Ms brought to the US. There have been several totalled, so the surviving number on the road today is probably right around 100.
99 T5Ms get ever rarer, and I don't believe there were any T5Ms in 00.

Since your Golf is FWD, you can use a (lightweight) 2 wheel tow dolly to haul it.

If it's at the point where you want to put the Golf on a flatbed or enclosed trailer (if its a dedicated showcar), I'd say you shoudl buy a beater truck and haul away!

·
Registered
128 Posts
You won't trash the car, so don't worry about that.

Make sure the hitch is rated like it was said above and leave lots of room when pullout and coming to a stop. You'll burn more gas and you clutch might slip a bit more than it does usually but you will be fine if you take it easy. I'd be more worried on an auto or AWD car but with a manual, you will be fine.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
and I don't believe there were any T5Ms in 00.
Offcially, there were no MY00 V70 T5s brought in the U.S. however, 3 were imported (I ordered 2 of them) and all were automatics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts