SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a post in the IPD section regarding this and thought I might check here also. I take occasional trips to the desert with my motorcycle and camping gear as well as hauling equipment for work. When fully loaded the rear end compresses pretty severely. Are the Nivomat's compatible with the T-5's? I was told by my dealers parts department that they were available as an option and are available for purchase but they seemed unsure as to the correct P/N's. Does anyone out there have this as an option on their FWD V70 2001 or newer or have any information as to the correct P/N's I would need to convert my car? If someone does have them, do they seem to work well? Are they really self leveling?<p>Thanks,<p>Richard

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Re: Towing and heavy loading with '01 V70 T-5 (svenskahead)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>svenskahead</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a post in the IPD section regarding this and thought I might check here also. I take occasional trips to the desert with my motorcycle and camping gear as well as hauling equipment for work. When fully loaded the rear end compresses pretty severely. Are the Nivomat's compatible with the T-5's? I was told by my dealers parts department that they were available as an option and are available for purchase but they seemed unsure as to the correct P/N's. Does anyone out there have this as an option on their FWD V70 2001 or newer or have any information as to the correct P/N's I would need to convert my car? If someone does have them, do they seem to work well? Are they really self leveling?<p>Thanks,<p>Richard</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Check my signature. I have them on my car. I have the entire kit <i>from VOLVO</i>; it is called the Lowering and Roadholding kit and it is only for FWD V70s that are Turbos. I have loaded up the back with up to 20 50-lbs. bags...the car looked frightening after I was done loading. The rear wheels were toed out while almost 1/5th of each wheel's surface was buried undere the fender. Guess what? After shifting into 1st gear and traveling 50 ft., the car looked like there was no weight in the rear! Amazing.<p>Yannis

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Towing and heavy loading with '01 V70 T-5 (GrecianVolvo)

Thanks Yannis!<p>That's exactly what I need! Now I know there is hope. A few questions. Are the lowering and road holding kit only sold together? I really want to avoid lowering mine. Did you buy your car with it installed or did have it installed after you purchased the car? If after, where was the work performed? Any information would be much appreciated.<p>Thanks,<p>Richard

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>svenskahead</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks Yannis!<p>That's exactly what I need! Now I know there is hope. A few questions. Are the lowering and road holding kit only sold together? I really want to avoid lowering mine. Did you buy your car with it installed or did have it installed after you purchased the car? If after, where was the work performed? Any information would be much appreciated.<p>Thanks,<p>Richard</TD></TR></TABLE><p>You can buy the Nivomats separately but they will cost you just a tad under $1,000. The kit itself was (retail) just a tad over $1,000. Getting the kit makes sense. you will see a BIG difference in the way the car handles. Big difference.<p>My car did not, obviously, come with this kit. This kit became available late in 2002. I got my car in March 2001. The work was performed where I used to work; Stillman Volvo. You want to go t a Volvo retailer unless you have a VERY COMPETENT inependent shop. After the kit is installed, the alignment (esp. for the rear wheels) can be a challenge to get it right so you want to have a GOOD tech do the installation.<p>Yannis

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

The Volvo kit lowers it by very little.<br>I've seen Yannis' car, it sat perfectly

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Towing and heavy loading with '01 V70 T-5 (JRL)

How much does it lower it? I'm only apprehensive because I sometimes have to drive off road on my desert trips. Compared to my compressed and overloaded car now the rear will probably be an improvement. Does it do anything to the front end? At 50k I'm thinking it's time for new front shocks too. When talking to the dealer should I refer to it as the "Lowering and Road holding" kit? Is it a single kit or two?<p>Thanks,<p>Richard

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>svenskahead</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How much does it lower it? </TD></TR></TABLE><br>1.5". Not a big deal but enough to fill the wheel wells nicely (if you have 17" wheels) and it also minimizes squatting under hard acceleration.<p>Does it do anything to the front end? At 50k I'm thinking it's time for new front shocks too.[/quote]<p>Yes, all four shocks are replaced. They are made by SACHS but only the rears are selv-leveling. The rear sway bar is also part of the kit; if you want a front sway bar, contact iPd.<p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> When talking to the dealer should I refer to it as the "Lowering and Road holding" kit? Is it a single kit or two?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>One kit. Has two names as it serves two different purposes.<p>Yannis

·
Registered
1,199 Posts

I am not sure that it lowers it quite that much (1.5)... <p>My old V70 had the Volvo Kit and sat a little higher than my Eibach kit... The Eibach kit lowered MY new vehicle ~1.5.....<p>That Volvo kit is VERY nice though.... I didn't feel like I was giving up much comfort for the better handling....

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Re: Towing and heavy loading with '01 V70 T-5 (dugums)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>dugums</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am not sure that it lowers it quite that much (1.5)... <p>My old V70 had the Volvo Kit and sat a little higher than my Eibach kit... The Eibach kit lowered MY new vehicle ~1.5.....</TD></TR></TABLE><p>It does. VRC2 claimed that it lowered the car 1 and 3/4".<p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That Volvo kit is VERY nice though.... I didn't feel like I was giving up much comfort for the better handling....</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Yes it is./ The ride is slightly firmer but nothing too much. The handling is much more taut.<p>Yannis

·
Registered
1,199 Posts

I seem to remember that VRC2 said that as well...<p>Hmmm... I don't know....<p>Anyway it is highly recommended and looks fantastic no matter what it is!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts