SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An engagement party turned into a drunken night of poor decision making. A buddy of mine that has been bugging me non stop about buying his boat finally gave me an offer I couldn't refuse. I just sold my previous boat in hopes that I wouldn't be buying anything else for some time to come. That only lasted two months, haha. SO this brings me here. The boat and trailer together dry, weigh about 4,000.00lbs. The trailer hitch is rated for 4,700.00. I have done my research and the US states 3,500lbs is the max, EU states 4,400lbs. So whats the deal? Can this car tow 4,400 or is it 3,500? I would be trailering the boat about 1.5 miles, that is it. I do not want to cause damage to my transmission or frame of course. The trailer does have brakes too, I don't think I would have to use them for towing across the island with ZERO traffic.Should I do it or no?

·
Registered
13,986 Posts
Tongue weight would be an issue as well. I think the limit is only 165 lbs or something like that. I don't think we've ever been able to reconcile Volvo's towing limits from Europe to the US.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Tongue weight depends on the hitch. You should be ok with 150-250 lbs on the hitch. 4000lbs is definitely over the capability of the vehicle but one trip is not going to destroy the car.

Do some reading online regarding the GVWR on the XC60. I'm sure others have asked the same question....

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,986 Posts
Tongue weight limit is based on both the vehicle and the hitch, whichever is less, and in this case I would imagine it's the vehicle's tongue weight limit, as outlined in the manual.

So if the vehicle has a tongue weight limit of 165 lbs and the hitch has a tongue weight limit of 250 lbs., the most you should be at would be 165 lbs, if you're following the letter of the manual.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tongue weight limit is based on both the vehicle and the hitch, whichever is less, and in this case I would imagine it's the vehicle's tongue weight limit, as outlined in the manual.

So if the vehicle has a tongue weight limit of 165 lbs and the hitch has a tongue weight limit of 250 lbs., the most you should be at would be 165 lbs, if you're following the letter of the manual.
I read that the tongue weight is closer to 400-450 with the car unloaded. I wish this was better documented.

·
Registered
13,986 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I'm typically a stickler with tow ratings and abuse prevention, but I think the key here is 1.5 miles. I'd probably take it slow and easy. Worse case, it might be a good time to buy a cheap old tractor or something just for towing.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
In Europe all trailers have surge brakes. Volvo gives higher tow rating due to braking on trailers including parking brake on the trailer. 4000 for a short distance like that is not going to be an issue anyway but if that boat trailer has surge brakes then you are good to go for longer distance towing as long as tongue weight isn't too high.
When tow ratings are determined they have to consider lots of things and parking on hills is one of the criteria. The manual parking brake gives more safety for the grade parking test on an electric parking brake vehicle.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well this was one heavy sob 22ft with an 8ft beam and v8. Probably 4300lb range. Got the boat out and winterized. I only had a very short distance to go, about 2-3 miles. Definitely can say the xc pulled, but will not be doing that on anything more than a couple miles. My father came along for moral support hah

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts