SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked up the towing capacity of the V50, it says 2,200 lbs. The dry weight of the boat is 2,000 lbs, depending on how much fuel is in the aluminum gas tank, (44 gallon) up to 2264 lbs. I have never towed a boat before with a car this size, I got rid of the F150 I used to use, I am hesitant to try and tow the boat with the V50. Anybody tow a boat with their V50?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark, the 242 was my first thought as well, but it does not have the same traction on a wet slippery slope(boat ramp) as the V50, the 242 kinda spins it's tires at will, and I don't want to get stuck and tie up the ramp, I sold my 4x4 F150 to my shop foreman, so now it's either the 242 or the V50 to tow the boat. I should add, I rarely tow the boat, I have a dock at the beach house on Puget Sound about 45 minutes from Seattle where the boat normally sits, I just need to pull it out and do some work on it in my shop in Seattle, which I do every winter, so it only gets towed twice a year.

·
Registered
295 Posts
You also have to factor in the weight of the trailer.... probably about 800 pounds. At that point you're well over the limit and should probably consider renting or borrowing a vehicle with a higher tow rating. Getting it moving won't be a big deal... stopping it will.

sent from...

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
I wouldn't risk it :scared:

·
Registered
664 Posts
I tow a 2500lb Honda plus tires and tools 2 times a year. The V50 manages quit fine even on snow with snow tires. Keep the speed below 80 KPH and leave your self time to stop. And accelerate lightly.

Volvos are over designed. The occasional over loading should not be a problem. but Dont do it daily

·
Registered
837 Posts
the only thing I would worry about is trans temp and brakes. otherwise you should be fine. the rating is based on axle rating only in the US so if you push it or go over watch those bumps. bare in mind that the maker puts a little cushion in that max rating.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not to sound like an ass, but why not rent a truck twice a year?
I'm too cheap. lol. A friend offered to tow it back to my shop for some beers.

·
Registered
837 Posts
ill sell ya 350 tpi suburban 1 ton, turbo400 trans for 1500 bux. itll tow it all day :)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
+1 on trans temp. Get another trans cooler, and plumb it UPSTREAM of the stock one, so that in the winter it won't take forever to warm your trans.

If you have an automatic.

·
Registered
664 Posts
+1 on trans temp. Get another trans cooler, and plumb it UPSTREAM of the stock one, so that in the winter it won't take forever to warm your trans.

If you have an automatic.
I believe Madden and me have standards so trany temperature is not a problem. Frying the clutch is a danger so you need to be gentle.

Towing a few times a year is OK with the V50 but any more and I agree get a truck.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Towing a trailer down the road is one thing. Pulling a boat out of the water, up a ramp can be a chore. Especially if the ramps are in poor condition or too steep.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha, Dave and I have no problem consuming beer, once we're safely back!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts