SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, we can add a hitch.... yes, Volvo lists some capacity info...

But I'm curious who is towing what, on the heavier side. I am slowing easing into SCCA IT racing. Have car and trailer but not sure I want to pop for a truck at the same time.

So is there anyone towing 3500 lbs? Trailer has tandem axle & brakes.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Re: Tow Capacity (JimLill)

I tow a 3300lb. ski boat on a tandem trailor with brakes. The V70R tows quite well. I used to tow with a bone stock F-150 without a tow package and the R tows far better than the F-150. I would say that the acceleration is better and the braking (the more important part) is better with the R (I am sure though that a properly equipped F-150 would be better though). I have a 6MT and hauling it out of the boat ramp can be hard on the clutch. I pay special attention to that and recognize that I am not helping my clutch's lifespan.

I have the Volvo hitch and harness. I keep the tongue weight to Volvo specs, and don't tow in hot weather for long distances. I figure that the base V70 with 1xx HP and small brakes can tow 3300 lb so I think that the R is better suited. Also with a MT vice a GT you don't have to worry about heat build up in the tranny like you would if it were an auto. I won't tow the boat very far either, mostly just local. Let me know if you want more info...

JAG http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,800 Posts

Quote, originally posted by JimLill »
any thoughts on Brake Controller

Is there a volvo harness to upgrade the flat four plug to one that can handle electric trailer brakes?
These guys have a small alum trailer with surge brakes and seem happy with it.
http://grmotorsports.com/news/...inder/

In a thread in their forum they say that trailer comes in at 1400lbs.

Most I've done personally is 2000, that was with a uhaul 5x8 without brakes and it towed good, only about 20 miles on the highway though.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Jim

I tow with my '99 that is lowered etc. The Lotus weighs 1540lbs and my trailer is aluminum with surge brakes. Total weight has to be nudging 3k and I have no problems at all. Can't even tell it's back there.

Mark

Modified by LotusMark at 10:09 AM 3-22-2006

·
Registered
738 Posts

I am trying to adapt the 4 pin harness and turn it into a 5 pin harness (looks identical to the flat 4 pin, except it has one more pin). I need to tie into the reverse lights. The wire is available at the harness connection, but I haven't found a source for pins to fill the empty hole in the connector. My trailers surge brakes have a electric solenoid that engages when reverse is selected, thereby releasing the brakes and preventing wheel lockup when backing up. Will the 7 pin have that wire in it? Or where can I get a pin for the connector block and splice in the wire myself.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts
Re: Tow Capacity (Johann)

Holy crap Johann. That is the best picture ever http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

For me when Team NJ goes tracking we are renting a truck to carry tires/supplies (we may even sleep in it) and and a tow dolly to carry the car

This is an awesome topic Jim Lill, these pictures are awesome

·
Registered
117 Posts
Re: Tow Capacity (JAGMAN)

JAGMAN,

A 7 pin wiring harness does not have the reverse lights in it. The wiring diagrams show it as taking power from the reverse light terminal, but it ties into "fog lights". The 13 pin harness has it. If you need 12v from the backup lights, it looks like there should be no problem getting it from the REM (rear computer).

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: Tow Capacity (Johann)

Quote, originally posted by Johann »
I did with the V70R many times. Even with the lowered suspension.
No problems for the R, it does the job well.

Sorry to go a bit off-topic here but...Johann, am i correct to assume that the S70 is only secured by TWO cross straps???
No chains?

Yannis

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Re: Tow Capacity (GrecianVolvo)

I had a Mitsu turbo long ago, and was told by everyone, (including my Dad) not to run any towing with turbo engine, but that was 10 years ago. Is this logic still holds true for today's turbocharged car?

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts

I am not towing anything with my current Volvo, however I have towed a large tent trailer with past Volvo wagons and no particular problems. Clearly brakes become the most critical issue, and where I would focus, be it surge or driver controlled. I really am not current on what is available today in that regard.

I would not underestimate the importance of tire load rating. Even with moderate tongue weight, it always seems that cargo finds it's way in the back of the wagon, and if long drives are involved tires can be an issue, as well as proper inflation of course.

Also 4C comes into play with it's "Load Dependent Control", which increases damping in an attempt to make the handling remain constant, and of course to reduce any bottoming under heavy load when it senses lowered ride height due to load. This function is not active in advanced, however I suspect you will not be towing in advanced mode.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: Tow Capacity (GrecianVolvo)

Quote, originally posted by GrecianVolvo »

Sorry to go a bit off-topic here but...Johann, am i correct to assume that the S70 is only secured by TWO cross straps???
No chains?

Yannis

2 straps (2000 kg) which hold as much as a chain, a winch, handbrake, downforce..

What more do you want?

Modified by Johann at 4:54 PM 6-22-2008

·
Registered
738 Posts
Re: Tow Capacity (spudmanmike)

Quote, originally posted by spudmanmike »
JAGMAN,

A 7 pin wiring harness does not have the reverse lights in it. The wiring diagrams show it as taking power from the reverse light terminal, but it ties into "fog lights". The 13 pin harness has it. If you need 12v from the backup lights, it looks like there should be no problem getting it from the REM (rear computer).

I have a Vadis DVD, are the wiring diagrams on there? If you have any more info I would greatly appreciate it. I want as clean a install as possible. This past weekend I found a circular 7 pin adapter that changes 7-pin into 5 pin. I just assumed that would work. I guess I was wrong.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.