SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I just lucky or does the Volvo S60 have a very tough windshield. On two occasions, my windshield has been hit by lose stones flying off truck wheels with tremendous force at highway speeds, and on both occassions I pulled over to assess the damage expecting the worst, but I was left scratching my head. There was no damage whatsoever, not even a mark. On my two previous cars i.e. Nissan Pathfinder and Audi A6, I got hit by stones with less force and the damage was immediately evident. Very impessive from Volvo! I drive a 2012 T4.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
They seem to be very strong, however they do still show marks. Mine has been hit but tons of crap and hast broken, but its starting to look all sandblasted. I'll eventually have to get it replaced soon so it isn't dangerous to drive into the sun with despite it not having any major damage.

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
Am I just lucky or does the Volvo S60 have a very tough windshield. On two occasions, my windshield has been hit by lose stones flying off truck wheels with tremendous force at highway speeds, and on both occassions I pulled over to assess the damage expecting the worst, but I was left scratching my head. There was no damage whatsoever, not even a mark. On my two previous cars i.e. Nissan Pathfinder and Audi A6, I got hit by stones with less force and the damage was immediately evident. Very impessive from Volvo! I drive a 2012 T4.
Lucky. I have a barrage of stone chips on my bumper / hood. Didn't wrap the car, sigh. Should have thinking back. Anyway, my front windshield has taken some nasty impacts. I have some glass pitting from these stones, but no fractures / breaks. I.E. you can see a pencil tip sized divot that pieced the first layer but not deep enough into the glass to cause a break / spider webbing.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I think you’re lucky, my windshield looks like it got hit by a sand blaster and one Little Rock chip turned into a massive crack. Next windshield I’m having it coated in film to protect it better

2014 Volvo S60, polestar tune, elevate rear sway bar, polestar endlinks, K&N filter, polestar 370mm brakes, Rdesign shocks, H&R springs, Polestar strut tower brace, Elevate exhaust... downpipe and intercooler to come this spring

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lucky. I got hit by a rogue rock recently at less than highway speed it left a very noticeable divot. Got it patched before it could get a chance to spiderweb. It all depends on what kind of rock and at what angle. I've been hit very hard by glancing blows and yeah, that'll just leave a small scratch, but get hit by that same rock coming in at a high enough angle and you'll definitely damage the glass. Fortunately most modern windows are stronger that before and that means you'll just get a small crater and maybe a little splintering rather than anything really catastrophic, and those kind of impacts can be epoxied.

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
I think you’re lucky, my windshield looks like it got hit by a sand blaster and one Little Rock chip turned into a massive crack. Next windshield I’m having it coated in film to protect it better

2014 Volvo S60, polestar tune, elevate rear sway bar, polestar endlinks, K&N filter, polestar 370mm brakes, Rdesign shocks, H&R springs, Polestar strut tower brace, Elevate exhaust... downpipe and intercooler to come this spring
Damn trucks and their debris...Or the rocks they kick up...My Glass has some definite pitting....Visible in some spots but nothing severe enough to crack the windshield.

·
Registered
2012 S60 T5
66 Posts
Lucky.
For the purpose of stone chip resistance, which is what you are remarking about, glass is glass.
There isn't a tough-grade auto glass, one with higher-than-average stone chip resistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts