SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am wondering after changing everything else, where my power is gone on my 98 V70R AWD Manual shift, thats the reason why i have not drivem him so much. Aftern having some boosst problems above 1.5 shortly 2 bar seems that anything happened a year ago.

And i think this is the mess up, the camshaft times are totally wrong if the white markers describe the factury settings then one camshaft is wrong for about 10 teeths ? is this possible

If thats how they should be

Had the car for 3 years now, but made just 3.000km. So it seems that the belt on the first camshaft overjumped for about 8 teeth ? But i think this not happened in one event, i think it was to times the belt has to be jumped over. Will fix it as soon as possible and report. Have to look, perhaps a tensioner lost his power too. My car has also the hydraulic damper one Aisin btv-005. Is there a way to drive without them on shorter belt ? Some 850r i think did not have this hydraulical damper one or did they ?

car is idling "normal" , starting cold normal in a second. But when parked warm after hours the car starts after about 10seconds starting try, and adding some throtthle. Really weird that all.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Don't trust the white marks, it looks like whoever did the cam belt last marked it with the white marks at "12:00". See how there's a cut on the top of the cam cover on one side and a white mark on the other? I bet if you roll the engine back about half a crank those white marks will both point upwards, and you'll see the factory scratches on the gears line up like they're supposed to. They're just harder to see so a lot of guys make their own.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Don't trust the white marks, it looks like whoever did the cam belt last marked it with the white marks at "12:00". See how there's a cut on the top of the cam cover on one side and a white mark on the other? I bet if you roll the engine back about half a crank those white marks will both point upwards, and you'll see the factory scratches on the gears line up like they're supposed to. They're just harder to see so a lot of guys make their own.

Yes i see, then i assume that the right camshaft from my photo is one tooth forward. Will check it out today after work

is there a way to check this besides the markings?

Some kind of light source blinking in the crankshaft part is used to see this, think it is called stroboscop

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cams are standing same position all the time

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
I don't know what you mean. Here's an illustrated picture with more detail of what I was trying to say. Note the position of your cam bolts, they should match what I have in this picture, and in the second picture you posted. Your engine is not at TDC in your picture, which means those white marks are useless.

Here's a picture of the crank timing mark so you know if your crank is at TDC.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Service light is just a reminder to change the oil. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is there a possibility to check the vacuum booster on properly working by connecting him on 12V ??

Volvo number 1390903

·
Registered
319 Posts
LloydDobler, your two photos have been a huge reassurance as I change the timing belt on my 96 855. The mark on my crank is different but everything else is identical. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Glad to help. The 21st century is pretty awesome, digital camera, snap a picture, upload, worth a thousand words. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts