SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new XC90 is covered with about 40 cm of snow. What is the best way to remove it without risking scratched on the paint? Any suggestion are welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
515 Posts
Clear the windows with a brush and go for a quick drive. It looks fairly light and fluffy, it should just fall off. Otherwise, give it a quick spray at the car wash.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Get yourself a "Snow Rake." Or something similar. A lot of the dealership use these to clear large amounts of snow off of new vehicles without scratching the clear coat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Use a diesel generated pre-heater through VOC if you have it. After 30 minutes most snow will have fallen off. This is one of the key reasons I added the pre-heater to my XC90 D5.

·
Registered
760 Posts
A little forethought and a garage maybe?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Does yours have the heated windshield? I'm thinking that feature would really come in handy right now ... :)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Does yours have the heated windshield? I'm thinking that feature would really come in handy right now ... :)
It's funny actually that you mention that. I think it depends entirely on the type of snow. While I don't have a heated windshield, I find that for the rear window, when there's dry powdery snow, that it's often more effective to just brush it away or let the wind blow the snow away -- turning on the heated rear defogger generally just melts the snow and makes it stickier/and thus it doesn't brush/fall away as easily.

Whereas if the snow is already wet and sticky to begin with, then the heat makes it melt away much quicker.

I imagine the same would be true of the heated windshield, though obviously you're not going anywhere if your windshield is covered (i'll sheepishly admit I've driven my car with a covered rear window though...)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Use a diesel generated pre-heater through VOC if you have it. After 30 minutes most snow will have fallen off. This is one of the key reasons I added the pre-heater to my XC90 D5.
Sadly - this is not available in the North American market - but we do have snow here :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Get yourself a "Snow Rake." Or something similar. A lot of the dealership use these to clear large amounts of snow off of new vehicles without scratching the clear coat.

Thanks for all the replies. The snow rake seems the best solution to me. I do not have the heater nor the heated windshield (it is probably a good solution and I hesitated a lot, but I really did not like the visible lines). The important thing is to push away the snow without scratching the paint. I do not mind taking sometime doing that. Unfortunately, the "rake" is not so easy to find, as most shops have the snow brushes (that look very scratchy!), so I may ask the Volvo dealership or check on the internet.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Leaf Blower
:thumbup: LOL I figured that out for my old XC90.

A little forethought and a garage maybe?
I just build another double-car garage for $70,000, attached to my house, for my new T8 XC90 that I'll buy in a couple of years, hopefully. But after my garage expenditure, I may have to buy it used. :)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I do not mind taking sometime doing that. Unfortunately, the "rake" is not so easy to find, as most shops have the snow brushes (that look very scratchy!), so I may ask the Volvo dealership or check on the internet.
Do you have Amazon delivery in your country? If so - here's a link for the Sno Brum:

http://www.amazon.com/Sno-Brum-Original-Removal-Telescoping/dp/B0007LDXLA/ref=sr_1_2

Currently from one supplier USD $22.55 and if you have Amazon Prime membership - free 2-day shipping.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks a lot. I am in Europe and checked on Amazon.de but the same product is 122 euros! I will check with Volvo or a car accessories shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
3,959 Posts
I too use a snow broom, however for the really ocd you should wrap it in a 300+ gsm towel. That will help eliminate tiny swirls caused by light abrasion of ice etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
contact

Hello Mapache,

am new in this forum, and not sure on how to write private messages. I have noticed a familiar feature in your XC90, similar to the one I have ordered (same country, probably same dealer too), and have some quick questions for you (only info), if you have time and chance to attend. thanks a bunch

·
Registered
697 Posts
Not Volvo, but this is what I did on my cell phone before I left my office a few days ago, of course temps were much lower, snow just melted off the
car by the time I arrived to the parking lot (then it drove me on the highway with hands on knees):

·
Registered
206 Posts
Anyone thinking about ordering a snow rake online make sure you don't get the kind designed to remove snow from building roofs. Those have a hard metal blade that will scratch the paint.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello Mapache,

am new in this forum, and not sure on how to write private messages. I have noticed a familiar feature in your XC90, similar to the one I have ordered (same country, probably same dealer too), and have some quick questions for you (only info), if you have time and chance to attend. thanks a bunch
I would be happy to answer your questions and provide any advice. Please do send me a private message. I also not familiar with that, but I see that there is a tab on top of the page. Good luck with your purchase, by experience with the purchase and with the car so far was excellent.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts