SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just purchased a '98 Volvo S70 GLT with 135,000 miles for $3,000. It has new brakes, alternator, and tires still have about 6,000 miles left on them.

From what's written on the engine the last time the timing belt was changed was at 60,000 in 2005. I want to replace the timing belt/water pump, but not sure how much this usually costs and if I need a specialized Volvo shop to do the work.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm getting ready to get it done on 98 s70t5 and it's $200 for parts and $304 for labor at the Volvo dealership, which is where you should get it done

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Timing belt can be done at home by an average person with normal tools as long as you can lock the cams. Check out ipdusa.com. They used to have a video on how to change the belt. While your in there change the belt tensioner and the serp belt... For parts, try ipd or fcp groton, unless you want factory parts, then try tascaparts.com.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Right, when it's done it should include the timing belt, t belt tensioner, t belt idler pulley, water pump, serpentine belt and maybe even serp tensioner if needed. All that is in the same area, same amount of work really. And it's something that any decent shop can do, not volvo specific in this year. You can easily do it at home for the price of the parts or take it to a good indy. Dealership of course would be fine but not necessary.

Don't even really need to lock the cams for this simple job, doesn't hurt but as long as your careful it's pretty hard to mess up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies- a lot of food for thought and checking into all the options.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm getting ready to get it done on 98 s70t5 and it's $200 for parts and $304 for labor at the Volvo dealership, which is where you should get it done
Wow, having a timing belt changed on my 2004 V70R was $1700 at the dealership. (sigh) Let's hear it for LA prices...

·
Registered
305 Posts
I just did mine at home. Pretty simple job, once you lock the cams. half dozen zip ties handled that for me

Yep, sent from my rooted, rommed Galaxy Nexus....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts