SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all of the time I've had my 06 VR on the road I've noticed it felt very slippy in the gears, especially the lower 3 (TW80 6 speed).
I knew that putting my louder pipe would make for an interesting sound track - which it has, but what I had thought might have been worn clutch packs now feels more like the torque converter failing to lock up.

Car has about 64k miles on it, Valve Bodies feel fine and shifts feel good, with no flaring or slamming (had an XC70 with AW55 with shot VB so know what it feels like).
To try and nail down what was happening, and that is much easier with a louder exhaust, I've been testing varying scenarios such as manual shifts.
When manually selected I don't sense the 'slippiness' I get when in auto, which in my head leaves the torque converter as my next culprit.

Perversely the torque converter has zero slip when in the higher gears at motorway speeds, in fact it would by nice if it was little keener to drop a cog.
I've read the Volvo software is especial aggressive on that lock up, and so far I've not really been able to find anything technical about the specifics of that system so I can research likely culprits.

I've found nothing here on swedespeed, but if anyone has some past experience or ideas I'd be happy to hear them

Reactions: Bunnspeed

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
For all of the time I've had my 06 VR on the road I've noticed it felt very slippy in the gears, especially the lower 3 (TW80 6 speed).
I knew that putting my louder pipe would make for an interesting sound track - which it has, but what I had thought might have been worn clutch packs now feels more like the torque converter failing to lock up.

Car has about 64k miles on it, Valve Bodies feel fine and shifts feel good, with no flaring or slamming (had an XC70 with AW55 with shot VB so know what it feels like).
To try and nail down what was happening, and that is much easier with a louder exhaust, I've been testing varying scenarios such as manual shifts.
When manually selected I don't sense the 'slippiness' I get when in auto, which in my head leaves the torque converter as my next culprit.

Perversely the torque converter has zero slip when in the higher gears at motorway speeds, in fact it would by nice if it was little keener to drop a cog.
I've read the Volvo software is especial aggressive on that lock up, and so far I've not really been able to find anything technical about the specifics of that system so I can research likely culprits.

I've found nothing here on swedespeed, but if anyone has some past experience or ideas I'd be happy to hear them
Bringing this back from the dead, as these symptoms sound exactly like what I’m experiencing in my 2011 S60 T6. The slippy characteristics in lower gears feel like the torque converter isn’t locking up or it’s grabbing and releasing in-gear, creating some pretty dumpy motorboating sensations and sound effects, like it’s a defective CVT. No bueno. Throttle response can be quite slushy around town with light throttle. And, like yours, its in-gear characteristics are more crisp when I hold a gear manually. It also firms up a bit at full throttle, so it doesn’t feel like it’s slipping at WOT at least, just at light throttle driving gently. Any updates or ideas? P3 guy saying hi and looking to tap into the seemingly abundant tech knowledge of the S/V60R community.

@Gonadz et al.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts