SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I sold my 99' 4runner and I'm looking at getting back into a Volvo. I loved the 4runner, but do a lot of highway driving and it just wasn't economical enough. My last car was was a 98' 850 T5 and it was awesome. Enough to convince me to get back into a Volvo.

As it stands, I'm looking at a 2006 XC70 with 126K miles and a 2005 S40 with 88k miles. Both are clean and in good shape and both about the same price (about $7000 cdn). I love the practicality of the xc70 (I do lots of skiing and mountain biking), but also love the idea of fewer miles, a manual transmission and better mpg in the S40. I'm single so I don't need to worry about hauling a family around. Just my stuff and maybe some friends every once and a while, but 90% just me.

So... does anyone have experience with both? Thoughts?

Registered
Well, given that you're considering an S40 I guess ground clearance isn't too important. And the practicality of the XC70 can be found in V70s. But as far as S40 or XC70 goes I personally think the S40s and V50s don't have anywhere near the same quality feel as V70s/XC70s have.

Not sure what engines you're looking at on the above cars either but I'm somewhat certain the same engines were offered in the V70 series as in the XC70s, except I think manuals were more common on V70s than XC70s... I think.

Registered
I would suggest reading what Consumer reports says about both cars. I recently saw the reliability report on the S40, and it didn't look too good.

Super Moderator
Between the two, I would suggest the S40. Trust me, even at stock ride height, clearance would be no issue with a P1 Volvo.

It'll be much sportier than the XC70 and probably more enjoyable as a single man's car. You can fit a surprisingly large amount of stuff in them, but not as much as the XC. It's nice that it has roof racks for anything you might want to throw on the top.
The S40 may not be as luxurious as the higher platform Volvos, but its handling is far superior to any other Volvos offered at the time.

Check out both the S40 and the XC70 sections of SwedeSpeed to see what other owners think.
I considered both the S40, XC70, and S60R. The S40 stole my heart both in styling and performance.

Registered
I would go for the S40 as well. How often was the 4Runner filled with stuff? If you say often, did you use its big cabin as a storage unit instead of putting stuff away? My point is that often lifestyle is enabled by having more space than you really can get by with. The S40 shares its chassis with Ford's C1 cars such as the European Focus and the Mazda3. Although my V70 is a great tourer, when I'm not road tripping, my C1 Mazda5 is way more fun to drive around town. Of course, you don't mention what trim the S40 is. The XC70 has the 2.5 LPT/AT with no other options, but the S40 has powertrain options that could sway the vote.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts