SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tore an axle boot on my passenger side axle again.

How bad is it to drive on it with a ripped boot? I ask because I'm sure I won't be able to get it fixed immediately(dealers usually don't keep the passenger side manual axle stocked)

·
Registered
868 Posts
Depends a great deal on how long the boot has been ripped and how much grease has been flung out. If you get to it soon and there's still grease left, the joint can be saved. If it goes a few weeks or longer and the joint starts making noise in low-speed turns, though...

If you can spare a day without the car, I'd find a local axle shop and have them put a new boot on the axle. Something like that is likely to have one-day turnaround, and be MUCH cheaper than a whole PS manual axle.

·
Premium Member
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the thing, I have no idea how long it's been torn. I looked at some stuff on the car after getting back from Thanksgiving, and saw grease. Then looked closer and found the tear. Could've been this way all week.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
I'd still tear it down to see if its rebuildable, much cheaper than buying new shafts. I had two torn boots I didn't get to immediately and they were fine. What's more important than the grease going out is grit and other debris getting in there and destroying the bearings. Even after the most of the grease slings out much remains to keep them from immediately wearing out.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Even if the joint IS damaged, shops that can rebuild them will still do it much cheaper than a new axle. Had my inner joint rebuilt and rebooted recently for $180, or roughly 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of a new axle these days.

·
Premium Member
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's my only car, so turn around time is key.

I've gotta get a second car to start keeping miles off this poor thing.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
99-00 P80XC. 1.5k for semi-ok AWD and really nothing to break. Everything (even a head) can be done in a weekend without a lift and a decent set of metric tools. Also the AW50-42 is pretty bulletproof. Or an 04+ XC70...

·
Registered
868 Posts
No way, DD your VR! For all the bellyaching on here, it's really not that bad, especially compared to something German. Like I said, most axle shops ought to be able to turn your axle around in a day, especially if all it takes is a new boot and some grease.

·
Premium Member
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Getting the boot replaced. Was supposed to happen today. The dealer for some reason bought a passenger side M66c axle for me and had it on standby.

However, with the axle okay they're just going to re-boot it. Except they don't actually have the boot in stock.

Thursday!

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
No way, DD your VR! For all the bellyaching on here, it's really not that bad, especially compared to something German. Like I said, most axle shops ought to be able to turn your axle around in a day, especially if all it takes is a new boot and some grease.
Yeah it only costs 1.7k in parts a year to DD an MT R wagon... Assuming everything fails when it's supposed to...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts