SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming back from lunch, crested a hill to see 2 objects in my lane coming up fast. They were cone shaped. Kind of like the end of a cv axle. I hoped my car was high enough to pass over them as there was no where to go (traffic to left, road work to the right). I hear one thump down the middle of my car. Sounded like i hit an iron bowling ball. I had about a mile to go to work so I drove it on in looking behind me for an oil rtrail that I didnt see (yet). As I got into the parking lot my oil light starts to slightly flicker. I pull in and quickly shut it off. Get out and I already see a pool forming under the car. Got my oil pan. I tow it home with the help of a friend. On the way back to work in the S70 I stop to retrieve the object I hit. Turns out its a 15lb cast iron pipe threader.

Got home tonight and here is the damage.

So I need a pan and some instant knowledge on how to do the install. I am sure I can do it.

Anyone got a pan and want to help a brother out? ;)

Gary

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
I haven't done one in the car but I hear the install is cake, nothing difficult about it other than removing dozens of screws. There are a couple o-rings for oil filter passages you'll probably want to replace with new once the pan is off, and it uses liquid gasket so you'll need to clean the surfaces before install and get a tube of good stuff.

I don't have any spare pans lying around at the moment but there should be hundreds around in junkyards or shops with parts cars that you could get faster anyway.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
That is a shame man. At least you hopefully shut the car off in time and saved the motor! Good luck with the repair, I have done the pump o rings before and it really isn't a tough job. Just be sure to clean both sides very carefully before applying the new liquid gasket. Also, as Lloyd said, replace the o-rings while you have it off!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
all done and back on the road. Thanks guys.

Gary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts