SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I was watching this really interesting one hour TLC program and they listed and showed the top 10 martial arts in the world, order and rank. I don't know much about martial arts, but I thought it was really interesting none-the-less. This is how they ranked:<P>10. Ju Jit Su (Throws, Striking, Ground Work)<BR>9. Kali (Stick Fighting, Pain Management)<BR>8. Krav Maga (Defense, Law Enforcement Type Moves)<BR>7. Tae Kwon Do (Mostly Kicks, Defense)<BR>6. Aikido (Swords, Throws, Dance Type)<BR>5. Juko Kai (Severe Pain Management)<BR>4. Nin Jit Su/Tai Chi (Weapons, Power Management, Defense)<BR>3. Mauy Thai (Kick Boxing, Throws)<BR>2. Karate (Pain, Defense, Offense, All Moves)<BR>1. Kung Fu Sholin (Pain, Defense, Offense, All Moves, Weapons)<P>Of all of these, I was most impressed with Karate as it combines pain management, defense, offense, and all types of moves. The real training that these guys go through is amazing. Kung Fu Sholin is neat because it combines the elements of Karate with the use of weapons. After watching the show, I wasn't surprised at all that Karate and Kung Fu ranked 2 & 1 respectively.<P>-Drew

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
So are you a student of one of these? It's something I always wanted to try out, and I think I'll probably try to get my kids to take some sort of Martial Arts when I ever get around to having some.

·
Super Moderator
39,184 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by InDy:<BR><B>Last weekend I was watching this really interesting one hour TLC program and they listed and showed the top 10 martial arts in the world, order and rank. I don't know much about martial arts, but I thought it was really interesting none-the-less. This is how they ranked:<P>10. Ju Jit Su (Throws, Striking, Ground Work)<BR>9. Kali (Stick Fighting, Pain Management)<BR>8. Krav Maga (Defense, Law Enforcement Type Moves)<BR>7. Tae Kwon Do (Mostly Kicks, Defense)<BR>6. Aikido (Swords, Throws, Dance Type)<BR>5. Juko Kai (Severe Pain Management)<BR>4. Nin Jit Su/Tai Chi (Weapons, Power Management, Defense)<BR>3. Mauy Thai (Kick Boxing, Throws)<BR>2. Karate (Pain, Defense, Offense, All Moves)<BR>1. Kung Fu Sholin (Pain, Defense, Offense, All Moves, Weapons)<P>Of all of these, I was most impressed with Karate as it combines pain management, defense, offense, and all types of moves. The real training that these guys go through is amazing. Kung Fu Sholin is neat because it combines the elements of Karate with the use of weapons. After watching the show, I wasn't surprised at all that Karate and Kung Fu ranked 2 & 1 respectively.<P>-Drew</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hmm! Interesting! I agree 100% with the #1 choice...neat philosophy (if you follow closely how the Sholin or Shaolin monks live their lives) and very punishing.<P>"Karate" per se is very vague. I admire "Aikido" and "Kenpo" (lots of hand work, pretty defensive)...<P>Yannis<P><P>

·
Registered
676 Posts
I advanced to first-degree black-belt in Tang Soo Do (very similar to Tae Kwan Do) about 10 years back. Once I got to that level, I began studying other styles, and sort of mixing/matching techniques to determine what worked best for me. <P>My favorite techniques are probably Tuite - advanced pressure-point strikes that can disable, knock unconscious, or even kill an opponent with a series of precise strikes. I attended a seminar where George Dillman demonstrated some of these moves. He even went so far as to knock us all out with a single tap to the side of the neck! I'll never forget watching him (about 5'5") walk up to a 6'5", muscle bound guy and drop him with a single tap!<P>

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I took lessons in Tea Kwon Do. It was pretty cool. I only stopped because a trainer there had been convected in a child molestation(sp?) case. I then took Judo, somewhat similar to Ju Jit Su. But mostly throws. I stopped cause my friends also go out of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts