SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day,

I don't know if there is a tool category listed anywhere here on these forums - sorry if it is posted elsewhere.

I am rather a novice at repairs, but would like to learn more about doing work on my two 2010 Volvo V70 R's, at least the repairs that I can work out myself through forums and You Tube.

To start, I would like to get some reccomendations on tool sets (wrenches, ratchets, torque wrench, torx sockets, etc.) as well as tools that are used to remove body panels and perhaps fix a few dings. I know that some people will go to Hobby Lobby and buy some cheap sets (they break and buy new ones), but I am willing to drop a few $$ and invest in a decent set-up (but perhaps not top line super expensive). It would also be good to know which tools (and sizes) are essential to work with, as well as any other items that I would need to run my rudimentary repair space.

Priority over the summer is; replace the upper engine mount.
Get new hydraulic liftgate struts installed.
Replacing passenger door latch actuator.
Replacing sunroof rubber mouldings.
Installing front and rear cameras.
Other cosmetic work.
Perhaps the IPD rear anti sway bar (debating if there will be much improvement over the already lowered V70 R).

I am also contemplating an eventual VIDA setup as i now have a spare laptop that is several years old.

Appreciate all the assistance I can get through Swedespeed. Many thanks.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
What are you going to do as the first task? Start from basic tools and add when you need more. A full list would be too long and you are not starting a garage.

A simple set of metric wrench to start with. Add a floor jack and jack stand if you need to go under the car.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Ah see your first task is upper engine mount. Find a video or forum post from other people did it, you will know what tool you need. Probably wrench, sockets, extension bar, iron pipe to use as flexible break bar.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replying. Yes, I saw a video - just don't remeber on You Tube or elsewhere, for someone that recently replaced their upper engine mount with one of those blue ones from IPD. I was just wondering which brands of tools people are using generally - just don't want to get cheap ones that break or strip. All metric wrenches, sockets and torx are the first things then. Cheers.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
The husky brand from homedepot is good enough to me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Suggest Husky 3/8 drive torque wrench as everything has a spec and that wrench will cover most everything that is not on the wheel (from spark plugs to filter).

3/8 drive socket for engine type work and 1/2 drive for wheels.

Various metric sockets for your wrench

T (Star) sockets (10-55)

1 3/4 ton Jack (low type)
3 ton rated jack stands (they are rated in pairs)
3/8 Spark plug socket
36mm oil filter socket
Power drill

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Suggest Husky 3/8 drive torque wrench as everything has a spec and that wrench will cover most everything that is not on the wheel (from spark plugs to filter).

3/8 drive socket for engine type work and 1/2 drive for wheels.

Various metric sockets for your wrench

T (Star) sockets (10-55)

1 3/4 ton Jack (low type)
3 ton rated jack stands (they are rated in pairs)
3/8 Spark plug socket
36mm oil filter socket
Power drill
Thanks, looks like I get the tools first - saw the Huskys as mentioned at HD..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts