SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, picked up the next one. Has 191,000 miles on the clock. Needs a respray on the rear bumper and new seat skins along with some plastic bits for the interior. The shop will give me a two year 24,000 mile warranty on the work they performed before I bought the car (timing belt, water pump, tensioner, idler, camshaft seals, PCV system, both CV axles, inner tie rods, ABS control module, ABS speed sensor, camshaft position sensor) Total bill was $5,700 (that I didn't pay). This one will sit for a while until I finish a little more work on the black 850R. Thanks JaredR for convincing me to go ahead and buy it. I got it for a little less than what was listed because I was a customer.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Nice looking R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Love it ! especially that the black trim has been dressed or painted.
Actually, not dressed or painted. Car has not been cleaned yet. Still has some water spots on top. The paint should be outstanding with some detail work

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just went outside to this. (and this is South Texas).

·
Registered
993 Posts
Nice looking car.

Specific plans for it?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Nice looking car.

Specific plans for it?
New front seat skins and suspension refresh with a few replacement plastic bits. I'm going to put the Propus wheels from the black one on it for now. Need to find a wang.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Question for the group. My interior lights don't come on when the door is opened. The overhead switch works for turning on the lights in the left position and turning them off in the center position but does not work when the door icon is selected. Could this just be a problem with the switch? Also the boost gauge needle doesn't sit at the 12:00 position when the engine is off. It sits on the left side of the gauge and when there is boost, it goes just to 12:00 position. I did find a vacuum line disconnected but that wasn't the problem.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went to the JY today for some trim pieces. Found the interior upper tailgate trim and tried to install it. It snapped in half. Installed the new dome light panel and it was worst than the one I had originally. Only parts that were good was the clip for the MAF, the air intake snorkel and the door lock pin. Also bought an ECC because my air conditioner is not turning on; that didn't help either.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
time to contact sailor boy!!
I'm going to make the ECC code reader to see if there is an issue with the original unit. It did blink on startup but I didn't know then why it was blinking and its ability to record codes.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
993 Posts
The AC could also be a pressure switch. Does it kick on when you have it set to "Defrost"? What's the AC clutch gap like? Does the compressor kick on when you run 12V direct to it?

The error blinks on the ECC could be something else besides the AC issue.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The AC could also be a pressure switch. Does it kick on when you have it set to "Defrost"? What's the AC clutch gap like? Does the compressor kick on when you run 12V direct to it?

The error blinks on the ECC could be something else besides the AC issue.
Doesn't come on when defrost is selected. I did the "push the clutch in with a broom" trick. Is this the AC pressure switch? It looks new.

·
Registered
993 Posts
That's one of them.
The high-pressure switch is behind the pass headlight.

Don't know the "push the clutch with a broom trick". Does the AC clutch engage when you give it power? Is there R-134 in the system?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's one of them.
The high-pressure switch is behind the pass headlight.

Don't know the "push the clutch with a broom trick". Does the AC clutch engage when you give it power? Is there R-134 in the system?
The broom trick is put a little pressure on the clutch housing. Where is the power location for the compressor? Don't know if there is refrigerant in the system, will have to have it pressure tested. Is this the second pressure switch?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
my ac wasn't working when I got my car, the clutch would engage and then soon disengage. warm ride home from Seattle in September. I had some half empty cans of refrigerant lying around and with adding a little the clutch stayed engaged enough to where I got some cooling. I'll wait until may or June to add more and see if it holds up.

years ago on my first trip back to Pa. in my silver car my ac was on the warm side so we stopped at the first Walmart inside of Kansas and added a full can of refrigerant and it has held up for the next 6 summers (and is still good I suspect).

·
Registered
993 Posts
The broom trick is put a little pressure on the clutch housing. Where is the power location for the compressor? Don't know if there is refrigerant in the system, will have to have it pressure tested. Is this the second pressure switch?
Yeah, that's it.

The only wire going to the AC compressor is the clutch power source. It gets its ground through the engine block,etc.

If you don't know whether there is refrigerant in there, that is probably a first step, obviously, but a quick check of the clutch function won't hurt.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm going to check the refrigerant tomorrow. That is the recommendation I've been getting.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts