SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed my 2004 V70R interior LED conversion.
I know this has been done many times but here is how I did mine.

All top (roof) lights use 42mm festoon type bulb. I've used 42mm 16-SMD-led. They are plentiful on e-bay for about $1 each. I had to solder 2.2K ohm 1/4W resistors across (parallel) to eliminate the residual glow after the lights turn off. These resistors don't heat up at all since there is only 0.005A of current flowing through them once the lights are on. Yet they provide enough load to turn the LEDs off.

This picture shows the 16SMD bulb on top and the stock one below it.

The foot well lights have a little smaller bulbs than the ones on the roof. I've used 37mm Festoon type with 6-SMD LEDs. The foot well lights didn't require resistors.

Here is a picture comparing the the 6smd led bulb (top) and the stock one below.

Here is the final outcome. Sorry about the raindrops on the windshield and the dirty floor mat :)
The total cost was $15 shipped to my door. I should have done before and after shots but didn't think about it till it was all done. Enjoy !!!

Tom

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Nicely done!
Manual wagons rule.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, it is a bit brighter, but no sunglasses required, lol

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
Nicely done Tom. I recently installed LEDs as well, I do get the slight glow, so that resister trick is the next thing I'll do. It's only happening on the rear overhead lights.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Very Nice - I too did the LED upgrade with the resistors in my S60 and I love it.

I however would need sunglasses in yours.... ;)
I used Festoon style bulbs that had only three LEDs - they however are bright enough for me. Huge difference over the stock yellow bulbs.

They are SMD LEDs too, but the 5050 variety; which individually are a little more powerful than yours (which are probably like 3028's) - but with 16 LEDs = way more light. Man; your car crazy bright.
Job well done.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the compliments.

I took the pictures with long exposure time that's why they may appear a bit bright.
The lights are actually not as bright in a real life, but I wouldn't look straight at them with a naked eye :) They are much brighter than the stock incandescent bulbs.

You can get away with one resistor on the front dome lights as they are both on the same circuit. Same goes for the rear Dome lights. The front map lights each require one resistor and so is the cargo are light.

I soldered resistors to all the top bulbs, this way they are all the same and can be swapped in any place.

Cheers

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Ron

Yup, it would look nice on Nordcap for sure.
The license plate has already been done as well.
I've used 20-smd led T10 and they fit just fine with no mods.

Nice write up Tom!
This would look good on Nordkap. :D

Any thoughts on doing the license plate?

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
Hi Ron

Yup, it would look nice on Nordcap for sure.
The license plate has already been done as well.
I've used 20-smd led T10 and they fit just fine with no mods.

And these exact same lights work for the puddle lights as well for those of us that have an 04-06 R.

·
Registered
221 Posts
That looks really good!

·
Registered
588 Posts
That looks awesome! I'm definitely searching eBay now.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
You can light a football field with those lights! Looks great and please do clean and condition your Atacama :(

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can light a football field with those lights! Looks great and please do clean and condition your Atacama :(
It looks like the high contrast of the LEDs show all the imperfections and aging of the Atacama. I do clean and condition it on a regular basis, it is quite soft. You can't really fix all the damage that has been done by the previous owner not caring for it. I could eventually do the reconditioning dye, maybe in a few years.

Wonder, would there be any interest in a plug and play super bright LED kit for S60 / V70R ?

Cheers
Tom

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
Nice write up Tom.
I just infused some $ into the Hong Kong economy myself.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
It looks like the high contrast of the LEDs show all the imperfections and aging of the Atacama. I do clean and condition it on a regular basis, it is quite soft. You can't really fix all the damage that has been done by the previous owner not caring for it. I could eventually do the reconditioning dye, maybe in a few years.

Wonder, would there be any interest in a plug and play super bright LED kit for S60 / V70R ?

Cheers
Tom
I would be down for a kit...but I was planning on getting the leds the ends of this month. So unless peeps are really quick on that kit, I'll just do it myself. :D

1 - 20 of 61 Posts