SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Toasted - another R bites the dust. A little KB please????

So, the fire trucks have just left the house, and thankfully, we are still alive and the house and garage are still standing. Our VR, not so much - it caught fire in the garage - hadn't been driven since Saturday. Had it been another hour or two, I might not be typing this.

Might be having a fire sale once the insurance folks are done - Atacama, with boosters.

A little KB please, as my chances of getting another Sonicama are, ummm, a little slim to

[/URL] [/img]

Bettre pix tomorrow in the daylight.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Glad you guys are okay! Sorry to hear.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't tell for sure - once the fire was out, it was hard to tell. The entire engine compartment is melted. It's just gotten cold around here, so maybe something started building a nest in there and chewed some wires or something? It hadn't been driven since Saturday morning - I only took it out about once a week as it is our "snow car." I have Oz's with brand new Blizzaks . . . Sigh. WTF.

·
Registered
857 Posts
KAW-KAW
I can hear the vultures already (must...fight...the...urge) Sorry to hear that man. Glad to hear everyone's okay. Best of luck.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Good god!! Glad you and your family are ok!!

KB...as requested.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Ouch!!! What a horrible story. Glad you're safe and not telling a more horrible story.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
That's terrible news, and such a great color combo VR. Glad everyone is OK.
uh...about those OZs... :)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Holy crapola! Im glad that your family is safe! As for the car:mad:

This is a perfect example of why you should have a **** load of fire extinguishers in your house..

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm glad everyone is OK!

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
how much for the Atacama assuming it isn't excessively smoke damaged?

on a more serious note...cars shouldn't spontaneously combust. Volvo owes it to themselves to try and find out why the car burst into flames. You need to contact them about it for the greater good.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Can't tell for sure - once the fire was out, it was hard to tell. The entire engine compartment is melted. It's just gotten cold around here, so maybe something started building a nest in there and chewed some wires or something? It hadn't been driven since Saturday morning - I only took it out about once a week as it is our "snow car." I have Oz's with brand new Blizzaks . . . Sigh. WTF.
Fords used to do that regularly - short out and catch fire with road salt - but a Volvo? I'd be suspicious of some jealous neighbour or the like...

Also happy everyone is OK, and I won't join the lineup of circling vultures as shipping to Canada is too expensive (just paid almost 50% shipping and duty on my last IPD order!)

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Wow, that sucks. I've never dealt with a carfire but I have a small extinguisher just in case.

If you decide to part it out, I'm be sure happy to "help" you get rid of a few items.

Glad everyone is safe though.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Yes - let the vultures begin.

Holy Crap!! Wow!

Glad everyone is safe. I would also let Volvo NA know about this. Better to find out about something with only one incident to date...

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Well, if you had all the time to do it yourself, you could just fix it. It wouldn't be too terrible.. Drop the subframe with motor and everything attached, pull the harness, put in a new one, and get all the crap off the motor, replace all outside components.. I would find an S60 in a junkyard with the engine bay in tact and pull everything (plastics and fuse box, etc) It could be done... If you had the patience.. To save a sonicama that is, it would be worth it to me.

Sorry man. I would probably cry.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts