SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. It's winter in New England. When the weather is bad, my car gets covered with salt and sand all day long as cars drive by (it's parked on the street while I toil away at work). Is it better to just leave it as is and wash it by hand, say once a month, or remove the filth every week, perhaps with the aid of a cloth car wash every once in awhile.

It pains me to see my car so filthy, but I'm concerned that I may be unnecessarily scratching the clear coat of my car by washing as frequently as I do (about once a week) just to satisfy my own clean compulsion.

Any thoughts from fellow car buffs in the snow belt???

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Re: To Wash or Not To Wash. That is the question (MyGreenS80)

There is a completely touchless wash on Route 9 Westbound in Westborough (I think), across from a Home Depot. Haven't looked for one closer to town though but I am sure there are some.

Other thoughts are to have the car professionally detailed and have them put a coat of an acrylic sealeant before they wax, something like Klasse. It will basically give you an extra clear coat so you wouldn't actually harm the clear coat.

I normally wash about once a month or when it gets real bad. I still need to get the car detailed and put a coat of Klasse on her. I use a great place downtown in the MotorMart Garage, where Legal Seafoods and Magiano's is located, across the street from the Park Plaza hotel.

Edit: the place is in Shrewsbury, not Westborough.

Ron

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: To Wash or Not To Wash. That is the question (B518T)

Interesting idea. Do you, or anyone else, have any experience with the Klasse acrylic sealant? Is it hard to apply / remove?

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Re: To Wash or Not To Wash. That is the question (MyGreenS80)

It's easy to apply. Suppoedly you use a dime size drop for each panel. That is hard to do as you don't think it's enough but it is.

Here is a link for some more info: YoSteve's detailing light

Don't think you can take it off too easily as it's a sealent rather than a wax. It bonds to the clearcoat. YoSteve's site will have more info on it. Maybe we can start up a GB with him http://********************/smile/emwink.gif

Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts