SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... how have the tires held up over time and are you happy with the quality? I'm at 22K miles on my XC90 and two of the tires are already near 4/32". I'm hoping the Michelins ride a bit quieter and last a bit longer. I have 21" wheels, so the only choices are the original Pirellis or the Michelin Premier LTX. I was warned by two different shops that the Michelins won't last anywhere near the 60K miles they are warrantied for and that frequent rotation is recommend. This, of course, goes against Volvo's recommendation to not rotate tires. On my current Pirelli's, the fronts are worn down to about 4/32" and 5/32". The rears are about 7/32". Based on this, I'm going to start rotating every 6K miles or so. I was also told that the Pirellis are a better tire for handling, so I'm little worried the Michelins won't perform as well. From what I've read on these forums, most have been pretty happy with the Michelins though.

One other question: Did you bother to turn off your air suspension (auto leveling) before having the new tires installed? I've had a few flat repairs over the past two years and the installer just jacked the vehicle up like any other.

Thanks.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I would suggest, taking a look at tirerack.com there are a few tires. And they do their own testing. It may help you

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would suggest, taking a look at tirerack.com there are a few tires. And they do their own testing. It may help you
Thanks for this! I knew TireRack had customer reviews (like every other web site), but I didn't realize they had their own testing videos. It seems these tires are very well-reviewed, with the exception of treadlife. However, with a 60K warranty, Michelin should provide pro-rated warranty compensation when it's time to buy new tires. My current Pirellis are loud and only lasted 22K miles, so I'm looking forward to another brand.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I will be replacing my OEM Pirelli’s in about three weeks.

I have it narrowed down to the Michelin Premier LTX or the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06. I am mostly convinced that I will get the Michelin’s.

The tire guys and gals at Costco recommended the Michelin’s for All Season. They indicated that both brands and tire models wear prematurely as others have reported.

Apparently, the Michelin’s will wear more evenly throughout their road life whereas the “S” portion of the Conti’s will wear off fast - leaving only “W” (Wet) to wear down and then the “D” (Dry) and becoming noisier over time. All according to Costco who hire fairly experienced and knowledgeable tire professionals.

My challenge is that I hope to only to be in the cold and winter for two months out of the year which is why I am leaning towards All Season which I know some call No Season. Be that as it may, I do not want to be running Winter tires in 60° weather either - thinking AZ and SoCal.

Anyway, I share this not because I have the experience but I have been reading a lot of materials and reviews. I have yet to be disappointed with Michelin’s.

BTW and FWIW, Costco recommended Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 for winters.

Good luck on whatever you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
491 Posts
i bought a set of michelin pilot sports 3 each for $135 from walmart.com the other day.. for that price i could care less :)

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
The nice thing about buying your tires from Costco is that they include rotation and balance for the life of the tire. That alone is worth something.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The nice thing about buying your tires from Costco is that they include rotation and balance for the life of the tire. That alone is worth something.
Discount Tire does too. They will also price match Costco.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've had good luck with my local America's Tire store. When the Michelin tires on my 2007 XC90 wore out before the warrantied milage rating they had no issue prorating a discount if I purchased the same tires.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The Michelin is, imho, a superior tyre in every respect other than it 'might' not last as long as the OEM Pirellis. That being said I've got about 25K miles on the original Pirellis, and I'll be replacing them with the Premiers before the bad weather starts. We have the Premiers on my wife's Jeep GC, and they are excellent.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'll just chime in to say that I love my Conti DWS 06s.

They do wear a bit fast, but that's the classic trade-off of grip/agility vs economy/longevity.

I'm about 10k miles into them and the "S" is still visible.

Definitely quiter and softer ride over the stock Pirellis, but also seem to have more grip in the corners. Also, absolutely excellent wet traction. Decent winter traction as well, as long as you remember they are not a true low temperature compound tire (and drive accordingly, anticipating increased braking distances in adverse weather).

·
Registered
344 Posts
Also replaced my Pirellis with Continental DWS's. Will see how well they do this winter. Replaced the Pirellis at 25K.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The tire guys and gals at Costco recommended the Michelin's for All Season. They indicated that both brands and tire models wear prematurely as others have reported.

All according to Costco who hire fairly experienced and knowledgeable tire professionals.
1. They recommend what they sell.
2. There are quite a few reports of people who had their rims scratched during tire install by those experienced and knowledgeable professionals (for the stores in the MSP area). Buy the tires from Tire Rack or elsewhere and go to Samaritan Tire to get them installed. While they have a mediocre tire selection, they do high quality work. It's the only place I trust to mount and balance my tires.

The DWS 06 tires are great in the snow (for an all season) and even better in rain. Overall better than the stock Pirelli tire. They're pretty quiet for the first few thousand miles but they do get loud like any other tire. It's unavoidable.

I have heard that the Premier LTX tires are surprisingly bad in the snow for some heavier SUVs. But if you have winter tires or you'll be elsewhere in the winter, that's not really a problem. They are likely to be the tires that replace my Pirellis.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Over time I came to the conclusion that after experimenting with different brands I keep returning to Michelin. XC has Continental 235/55 R19, don't remember the model, not sure if these were original as we got car used with 2x,xxx miles on it. It still has pretty decent tread left at current 46000 miles, but boy, they are soo loud. I noticed it from the beginning, and the sounds they make is really weird - is sounds like you are rolling on huge overinflated balloons, some kind of hollow ane echoing. Cannot wait to get rid of them.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Over time I came to the conclusion that after experimenting with different brands I keep returning to Michelin. XC has Continental 235/55 R19, don't remember the model, not sure if these were original as we got car used with 2x,xxx miles on it. It still has pretty decent tread left at current 46000 miles, but boy, they are soo loud. I noticed it from the beginning, and the sounds they make is really weird - is sounds like you are rolling on huge overinflated balloons, some kind of hollow ane echoing. Cannot wait to get rid of them.
It's Continental CrossContact LX Sport. I replaced all four tires with Michelin pilot sport A/S 3+ that was on sale for $136 a piece on amazon/walmart two weeks ago. The loud road noise is gone and the ride is a lot more quiet and better. It's my first time buying tires from amazon and shipped to Sears auto that partner with amazon. Sears scratched my Rims. Won't bring the car to Sears again.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Michelin tires are always my choice. However, I generally careless about the 60k or 80k miles wear claim from the manufacturers. At around 35k-40k miles or so, the tires are noisy as hell, irrespective to brand, and I had to get a new set even still plenty of tread left

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have had our XC90 for 10 years and have had may brands of tires, Michelin's, Yokohama Geolander's, Pirelli, etc. After having to replace the tires every year the rep at Discount Tire suggested the Yokohama
YK-HTX tires which are made for heavier vehicles. So far I have been very happy with these and they are not wearing near as quickly as the others, may get 2-3 years out of them. They also told us that because the car is so heavy, the tires need to be rotated every 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently replaced the Scorpions on my 2016 XC90 T8 Inscription with Michelin Premier LTX. My Pirellis had 32,000 miles on when I changed them, they were not completely done but they were getting noisy and one of them got a puncture so I took the opportunity to change them. I have done around 2,000 miles on the Michelins. Initial impressions are that they are quieter and smoother riding than the Pirellis but the handling is a little less sharp. I think it is a good trade off as the car is better at cruising than tearing up the curves. The Michelins were also about $100 per tire less than the Pirellis at Americas Tire. Pricing was pretty consistent across all of the outlets - Tirerack, Sam Club etc.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
It's Continental CrossContact LX Sport. I replaced all four tires with Michelin pilot sport A/S 3+ that was on sale for $136 a piece on amazon/walmart two weeks ago. The loud road noise is gone and the ride is a lot more quiet and better. It's my first time buying tires from amazon and shipped to Sears auto that partner with amazon. Sears scratched my Rims. Won't bring the car to Sears again.
Yes, thats what i have. You got a very good deal, I just looked and as3 in the same size as oem is about $250...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Personally I tend to not worry about the warranty as I've never used it and haven't gotten close to the mileage on it. I mainly worry about handling and noise. I had vredestein on my TL before I got the Volvo and they were great tires. Grip was fantastic, handling in the corners were great and noise was almost nonexistent. Handled great in the snow too.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts