SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a loaded 2017 S90 lease coming due. Like the car with exception of a few things most have noted:

1. Tire/Road Noise
2. Throttle Noise
3. Engine takes a bit to get going

Coincidentally - I started having vibration issues in the last few months and looks like it's caused by the foam coming loose on my Pirelli P-Zero's. Problem is it's only 1, which dealer offered to replace but because tread depth is too low on all the remaining you can't safely replace 1, needs all 4 which means spending another 1-2k on a car I'm about to return so only going to do if I choose to keep.... BUUUTTT - don't want to re-buy these tires, and can't find any other tire that has the same noise cancelling qualities as the Pirelli's (I have the 20" wheels). So given I'm already unhappy with the road noise, worried any other tire will be even worse. Curious if what tires most are using or if anyone else has solved the road noise issue and/or how?

Secondarily - assuming I solve the tire issue and decide to buy car out, still debating getting the polestar optimization. Have read most of the posts here and seems most swear it's worth it, but a few have noted it makes car unnecessarily aggressive so am worried the engine noise will become even noisier from holding on to low gears too long. I want to improve quickness/nimbleness of the car as throttle is currently sluggish but don't want my luxury sedan to sound like a souped up honda civic.

Lastly - curious if anyone ever determined if the 2017 polestar tune got the update to control the AWD to make it more rear/side-to-side biased for handling?

·
Registered
132 Posts
If it's free, you can just have a tire shop shave it down for you.

Alternatively, this thread suggests that you could also have them glue the foam back down. Better for the environment if it solves the job.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
"I want to improve quickness/nimbleness of the car as throttle is currently sluggish but don't want my luxury sedan to sound like a souped up honda civic."

It only sounds aggressive in Dynamic mode unless you really step on it. Otherwise it sounds fine to me. In Comfort, it's just like without Polestar, but instead of cutting off and shifting at a low point and giving that "shifts too soon" experience, you get the same sound a moment longer and a later shift.

It does make the car peppier and more eager to move off the line because the sensitivity of the throttle is mapped differently, but not in a loud way.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Had one of my Pirelli's replaced year before last. Last year I replaced all the tires at around 15k with some much cheaper replacements that ride better and are quieter. I think they're Hankooks or something similar, around 140 per tire which was shockingly low considering the profile.

They are a bit wobbly at highway speeds now, I should probably get them road force balanced at Discount Tire, but I'm putting up with them until I get a free day open. The steering wheel vibrates left to right quickly so I know it's tires and not brakes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After contacting Volvo Canada for a recommendation for replacements and going back and forth on the issue - they ultimately contacted Pirelli on my behalf who agreed to replace all 4 tires!! I only had 17k kms on them but suprised they offered after two years of ownership.

Kudos to Volvo and Pirelli for stepping up on their products proactively! Because I don't have to buy new tires I think I will spring for the Polestar upgrade now and double down on Volvo.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just another quick update for those interested. As noted, Pirelli agreed to change out my old PZero's Summers with 4 new Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season tires, and oh boy what a difference!! Honestly better in every way. Much quieter, smoother drive and handle better - which makes no sense to me as they are all seasons and from what I can tell a cheaper tire overall... but it's extremely noticeable. As an earlier poster noted think it may be less about the quality of the new Cinturato's and more about how bad the PZero's were.

Secondly, because I got the tires for free I decided to take the splurge on the Polestar Upgrade, a spoiler and the dual exhaust tailpipes. I also got the April/May Sensus Update and they replaced my brakes/rotors under warranty due to vibration.

The results of all of the above has made my 2017 S90 T6 feel brand new! Better engine, better handling, and better looking rear end... it finally feels like a true luxury sedan like a 5 series, but with all of the comfort any distinction of Volvo. Long story short, I LOVE IT!!! Can't believe I waited this long. For those wondering if these changes are worth it, DON'T! In order of priority I would say biggest impact for me was:

1. New tires, brakes/rotors - has literally made drive/feel fantastic. Feels like it was just replaced with a BMW suspension.

2. Polestar tune - It literally makes the car feel like it should have come with it. It is not "Too Sporty", or "Too Aggressive", it literally feels perfect, would make it a standard feature, no question. As most have said, it doesn't turn it into a Mustang - but you can feel the extra torque, especially during driving. Off the line you don't notice it as much but the rear-bias gives it a push that feels much more natural/sport sedan like. It also eliminates the annoying vibration that used to happen before when the front wheels would struggle to get grip.

3. The spoiler/dual exhaust tailpipes. The change in look is subtle, but it literally stops the rear from looking ugly (which it did!). The car looks so good from every other single angle, but the view from the rear ruined the car. Now it looks a bit more sporty, but not at all distracting - it just pulls the car together.

Anyway - for anyone thinking of changing/upgrading here are my takes. Given I have one of the original S90's thought others getting to the trade-in timeframe might be interested.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
629 Posts
3. The spoiler/dual exhaust tailpipes. The change in look is subtle, but it literally stops the rear from looking ugly (which it did!). The car looks so good from every other single angle, but the view from the rear ruined the car. Now it looks a bit more sporty, but not at all distracting - it just pulls the car together.

Good Luck!
Got pics you can share??

·
Registered
879 Posts
After contacting Volvo Canada for a recommendation for replacements and going back and forth on the issue - they ultimately contacted Pirelli on my behalf who agreed to replace all 4 tires!! I only had 17k kms on them but suprised they offered after two years of ownership.

Kudos to Volvo and Pirelli for stepping up on their products proactively! Because I don't have to buy new tires I think I will spring for the Polestar upgrade now and double down on Volvo.
I laugh when I see a $60k+ luxury vehicle with cheap ass tires. It is a joke. Most important part of your car aside from brakes and people go cheap.

I had continentals on my S90 and they were 100 times quieter than any Pirelli. Pirelli suck. You can not go wrong with Continental (Conti pro contact have foam in them too) or Michelin (no foam).

FYI for the future... The dealer does not have to replace the tire. If you have some tire life left you can have them remove the foam completely and probably never be the wiser it was gone (this is what I do for my customers).

ALSO, the noise of the tires could be because of your possible neglect? LACK of maintenance? If you didnt rotate/balance and align every 10k service, thats on you.

·
Registered
296 Posts
To avoid the "CHEAP" sound don't cheap out on your exhaust components. No "fart can" muffler
etc. Quality parts from reputable sellers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They had already removed the foam as they couldn't bring into balance without doing so, and unlike what you suggest - they were much louder.

...and who suggested I didn't rotate/align my tires? That's a bit of a leap, no? I rotate/balance and align every year as I switch from summer to winter so not on me at all. Try reviewing some threads on the Pirelli PZeros before jumping to conclusions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Good Luck!
Got pics you can share??
Will take a few pics and try to upload them tomorrow

·
Registered
879 Posts
They had already removed the foam as they couldn't bring into balance without doing so, and unlike what you suggest - they were much louder.

...and who suggested I didn't rotate/align my tires? That's a bit of a leap, no? I rotate/balance and align every year as I switch from summer to winter so not on me at all. Try reviewing some threads on the Pirelli PZeros before jumping to conclusions.
Maybe you didnt notice the question marks in my sentence. Conclusions do not use question marks. English 101.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Maybe you didnt notice the question marks in my sentence. Conclusions do not use question marks. English 101.
Last sentence has none, last time I took English 101 that made it a statement. Thanks for the lesson...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts