SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 05 s40 T5 blew a head gasket and I took a couple months rebuilding it thanks to the resources on this forum. It was a PITA but I'm better for having done it. Now to the real question, I have the opportunity to buy a 2004.5 s40 2.4i on the cheap that popped a timing belt. He took it to volvo and they just quoted him for a new motor and he said nope and let it sit. Now armed with my new found skillset and tools im feeling froggy. It would make a great car for one of the kiddos. I know what I'm be getting into from the head up and expect a valve job, but what are the odds of cylinder and/or block damage?

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
My 05 s40 T5 blew a head gasket and I took a couple months rebuilding it thanks to the resources on this forum. It was a PITA but I'm better for having done it. Now to the real question, I have the opportunity to buy a 2004.5 s40 2.4i on the cheap that popped a timing belt. He took it to volvo and they just quoted him for a new motor and he said nope and let it sit. Now armed with my new found skillset and tools im feeling froggy. It would make a great car for one of the kiddos. I know what I'm be getting into from the head up and expect a valve job, but what are the odds of cylinder and/or block damage?
Extremely low. Pistons will have small dents but they are of no consequence. Just smooth any sharp edge & move on. Great kid car if the price is right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I've heard from a few folks, smooth to remove hot spots and good to go. Then there's the guys that will swear that the whole thing is done. I posted here hoping for some 1st hand experiences. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Smooth and inspect pistons. I would just replace the head rather than repair.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I'd repair because you'll end up with a completely brand new cyclinder head vs. one with miles and old valve guides. Just something to think about while you've got the head off... not too much work / difficult to pop the oil pan off and slip in new bearings and / or rehone the cyclinder walls and place new rings.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
and an angle valve job, and then while you're there, might as well get valve guides too. Oh, and perhaps resurfaced?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts