SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent a good portion of last evening (from 7-11 PM) installing TME springs that I got recently in a group buy. It was a complicated install, but we managed.
We could not disconnect the front 4C cables, so we ended up winging it above the front caliper; we compressed the spring, popped it out, replaced the spring seat and put in a new spring. The front took about 1.5 hours. By the way, after 60,000 miles the spring seats looked like new - I dont know how some people claim to be going through them every 10,000 miles...

Now, the back...it took us over two hours with the back. Basically, the rear struts are a beeehhhaaaattttch to remove - it takes a lot of wiggling. Oh, and disconnecting the 4C cable on the passenger rear side was almost impossible - took us over half hour just to do that.
But once everything was out it was a pretty easy swap.

Now, the impression: the car feels 10 times better. i dont know how to describe it, but I used to ride on coilovers on my S40 and these springs are a bit softer than what you get with coilovers, but you still get that sporty stiffness. I haven't had it aligned yet nor did I do the SUM update, but the car really felt great. I took it on a 250 mile round trip today to the IKEA meet and it was really good.

For comparison purposes, someone once said that with springs COMFORT feels like SPORT and SPORT feels like ADVANCED - I disagree.
COMFORT feels like "Controlled Comfort" - there is no wobble at all. SPORT feels like, well...sport - there is added stiffness of course. And ADVANCED feels a bit less harsh than stock advanced - I found myself driving in advanced most of the way. Oh, and the side-hop is gone.

Bottom line - I'm very happy with the purchase. I'm waiting for them to settle a bit and then I'll get it alligned + SUM. Contrary to what I've read the car DOES NOT behave strangely without SUM calibration. I'll give it 2 weeks to get it done.

Enjoy the photos.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Re: TME's are in (tomedkaz)

Those look great!

Mine are settling now a tad but they could go lower.

Did you put stock spring seats in or IPD?

What's your center of hub to fender measurement? Just curious compared to mine (which I will measure soon).

EDIT:
Currently my front measures 13-3/4" and the rear is 14"

Modified by 850arrrsaylikepirate at 3:43 PM 9-12-2009

·
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: TME's are in (850arrrsaylikepirate)

Quote, originally posted by 850arrrsaylikepirate »
Those look great!

Mine are settling now a tad but they could go lower.

Did you put stock spring seats in or IPD?

What's your center of hub to fender measurement? Just curious compared to mine (which I will measure soon).

Thank you.
I put stock spring seats - I really see no reason for heavy duty seats at this point.

I"ll do some measurements while the springs settle....I want the front to go down a bit more (which it will)

·
Registered
11,628 Posts

Quote, originally posted by tomedkaz »

Thank you.
I put stock spring seats - I really see no reason for heavy duty seats at this point.

I"ll do some measurements while the springs settle....I want the front to go down a bit more (which it will)

Yeah I put the IPD HD ones in but really see no point either, though having the car lower may put more stress on the seats, but who knows,

Currently my front measures 13-3/4" and the rear is 14" .

I haven't driven the car much and am wondering how much she will settle down.

What's your current measurements just for grins?

For comparison purposes, someone once said that with springs COMFORT feels like SPORT and SPORT feels like ADVANCED - I disagree.
COMFORT feels like "Controlled Comfort" - there is no wobble at all. SPORT feels like, well...sport - there is added stiffness of course. And ADVANCED feels a bit less harsh than stock advanced - I found myself driving in advanced most of the way. Oh, and the side-hop is gone.

Bottom line - I'm very happy with the purchase. I'm waiting for them to settle a bit and then I'll get it alligned + SUM. Contrary to what I've read the car DOES NOT behave strangely without SUM calibration. I'll give it 2 weeks to get it done.

I agree with the how the 4C feels. Comfort does not feel like Sport. It feels more in control and tight.

I haven't had a SUM cal yet either (waiting for the springs to settle) and haven't noticed any ill effects. Actually the car rides fine as it is, not sure what the cal will do/feel.

Modified by 850arrrsaylikepirate at 4:34 PM 9-12-2009

·
Registered
866 Posts

Hey man, glad all went well. Looks really good and congrats on the self install. Way to $ave some Benjamin$. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Re: TME's are in (redalrt)

Quote, originally posted by redalrt »
Way to $ave some Benjamin$. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

No kidding.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Re: TME's are in (Token Blk Guy)

Quote, originally posted by Token Blk Guy »
What is the SUM calibration and what does it consist of?

When the car gets lowered the 4C thinks its weighted down and effects the shocks damping characteristics. All the calibration does is reset the sensors to a zero/default state and makes the head lights point correctly.

The dealer does the cal through VIDA.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts

This is quite ironic that the you say the side hop is gone. I've had my TME's installed for almost a month now, and at first I thought the side hop was gone, but its about 100x worse now. Add that plus the 1.0+ degrees of negative camber, and sport feels like I'm on a rollercoaster gets pushed left and right with the cracks and bumps in the highway.

I haven't had the SUM recal done yet as it seems that the car is still settling. I've put just about 600 miles on it. I think you will be very happy a month from now when you see the final product. Its NICEEEEEEE.....

Next thing will be to get the IPD rear bushings to fix the negative camber. Its driving me nuts, but boy the minute you get into a corner and hammer it it sticks like glue.... http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Re: TME's are in (PM)

For grins whats your hub to fender lip measurement?

Sucks about the side hop. Sport mode for me (so far) is like butter, a perfect blend of tightness and firmness, sorta kinda like Megan Fox. I know

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

Springs, sways, alignment - no side hop.

I think I was the guy (or one of them) who said comfort like sport, sport like advanced, and so on. I still think, with Heico springs, and 19" rims, the statement holds. Maybe the springs are different.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Re: TME's are in (Johnr352)

Heicos are different than TMEs. I believe the Heicos are rebranded Eibachs but not for sure.

·
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: TME's are in (PM)

Hmm...well, before I did my springs I made sure that all the bushings in the front and back were replaced along with front and rear droplinks. I think that might have helped.

By the way, today with four people in the car I got a message for "Anti skid service required" which went away after the people left the car...hhmm...might be related to the SUM recalibration which needs to be done (although not sure).

By the way, I'll leave the car at -1.5 negative camber in the rear. As long as the toe is good there shouldnt be any abnormal wear; if there is I'll just rotate the tires

·
Registered
289 Posts

Hmm...well, before I did my springs I made sure that all the bushings in the front and back were replaced along with front and rear droplinks. I think that might have helped.

By the way, today with four people in the car I got a message for "Anti skid service required" which went away after the people left the car...hhmm...might be related to the SUM recalibration which needs to be done (although not sure).

By the way, I'll leave the car at -1.5 negative camber in the rear. As long as the toe is good there shouldnt be any abnormal wear; if there is I'll just rotate the tires

i had that message too and it was a abs sensor that wasnt bolted down, only get it if the road was bumpy and after driving for a while. check all the abs sensors and make sure they are connected and bolted down.

that message wont have anything to do with the 4c calibration.

·
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: TME's are in (vw_mkv)

Quote, originally posted by vw_mkv »

i had that message too and it was a abs sensor that wasnt bolted down, only get it if the road was bumpy and after driving for a while. check all the abs sensors and make sure they are connected and bolted down.

that message wont have anything to do with the 4c calibration.

ahh good going...I need to do that today then.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 850arrrsaylikepirate »
Heicos are different than TMEs. I believe the Heicos are rebranded Eibachs but not for sure.

They are, but I had understood they were made by Eibach but not exactly the same, somehow custom matched or similar hocus pocus...but I like them.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Re: TME's are in (Johnr352)

Quote, originally posted by Johnr352 »

They are, but I had understood they were made by Eibach but not exactly the same, somehow custom matched or similar hocus pocus...but I like them.

That's what I heard, I am sure they work just fine.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.