SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Another update! My rear suspension is creaking and knocking so we decided at the shop it would be a good time, while things have slowed down, to yank the rear subframe out and do a complete refresh!

We did find a nasty surprise however in the mounts for the subframe are completely rusted through. So I will be beta testing the Hell Moose Performance rear steel subframe mounts. Very thankful that I found this when i did and Matt was in the middle of the swap.

If anyone has questions or needs parts numbers for any of the bushings/arms/hoses/pump let me know and I’d be happy to get them for you. Decided to go as much poly as I could to match the front subframe. Also doing the fuel pump at this time as I’m getting some really extended cranks on the original (!) 237k pump. Going to be a lot of cleaning and undercoating and rust prevention but I’m committed to keeping it now! Stay tuned for more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ouch... that sucks. But hey, after 200k+ miles on the east coast, every car is bound to have a bit of rust. That being said though, fixing yours won't be hard at all. These P80s do a great job holding up even in the US where salt is overused. Compare it to literally every GM and Ford truck/SUV from the same era and you'll see what I mean lmao.

As far as the rest of the subframe shenanigans go, I'll definitely consider taking care of it all too when my fuel pump goes out and I bring it to you and Edwin. Does anyone still sell rear subframe poly bushings in 2020?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
You can get most rear suspension/subframe bushings in poly.

This thread gives you all the OEM and aftermarket PNs for poly bushings:
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/191484-p80-awd-rear-suspension-bushings/

Jason’s thread contains a lot of the info on the bushings and install process:
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/170594-tuner4lifes-1998-saffron-v70r/#comments
Thanks for the links!

I’ll save those. I did use a very old Swede speed thread and an old volvospeed thread along with some good ol fashion digging.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Alrighty. Positive update.

Thanks to Matt Micciolo at Hell Moose Performance for supplying me with some custom made rear subframe mounts, sent with a jig to get it all made up as well. Can’t wait to get them installed in the car and get it back on the road. I will report with all my findings later today!

·
Registered
16,560 Posts
Looks good, TJ.
Been a while, man. I remember the days of the green s60! This car is so nice.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·

Also wanted to post the interior shots. Thinking of ditching the wood trim after the Momo Hub and Nardi wheels were installed. Really enjoy the sizing and feel of the thinner wheel. Not for everyone but I like it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Also wanted to post the interior shots. Thinking of ditching the wood trim after the Momo Hub and Nardi wheels were installed. Really enjoy the sizing and feel of the thinner wheel. Not for everyone but I like it.

Wow that wheel looks fantastic! Really blends nice with the interior. Where did you come across the volvo center insert? Which momo hub is it?

·
Registered
16,560 Posts
I bet a dollar it's not happening. Well, at least 50 cents that I won't be there, even in August.
All good here!
Thanks Z, hope you are doing well! Carlisle this year?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Wow that wheel looks fantastic! Really blends nice with the interior. Where did you come across the volvo center insert? Which momo hub is it?
The insert came with the kit. The kit was a JDM piece I got from @5x108heavyweight on Instagram.

·
Registered
106 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thinking of ditching the wood trim after the Momo Hub and Nardi wheels were installed. Really enjoy the sizing and feel of the thinner wheel. Not for everyone but I like it.
I just like the look of that! So much better than the mushroom, and probably cheaper than a recovered 850R wheel. Did you mention how you kept the SRS light from coming on?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
I just like the look of that! So much better than the mushroom, and probably cheaper than a recovered 850R wheel. Did you mention how you kept the SRS light from coming on?
You can get an SRS test resistor, it’s a Volvo special tool. You plug it in to create the resistance necessary to fool the SRS into thinking its there. I got it from Volvo but it took a month as it had to come from Sweden. I’ll try and find the number again. It’s a 2 ohm resistor.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Alright quick update for today!

The custome subframe mounts are in! And looking awesome! Very happy with the contructjon and build quality.

We had to cut a portion of the frame out and weld in a replacement plate as well to get a solid surface as there was so much corrosion.

We then bent the flat plates into the correct shape, mounted them to the subframe, and bolted everything up to see where they would sit, tacking them in place when we were happy.
Then the final weld took place to solidify everything.

Going to clean up and paint them tomorrow and coat them so I or the next owner will never have to do this again. Thickness is almost identical to the original mounts but have additional drainage so water is not allowed to pool inside them.

Here’s a picture of the original mount to the car with all the dirt removed, this is the solid piece..... amazing.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·

Undercoating completed! Primed and coated the underside of the vehicle to cover any spots of corrosion or possibility of corrosion.

Now just have to do both rear axle seals, install the adjustable toe arms, install the drive shaft, and put the drop in intercooler in and we’ll be all done! This month long ordeal is almost over.

61 - 80 of 119 Posts