SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design Polestar
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is directed mostly to anyone living in the Midwest or similar climate (snow and below 0°f in winter, and up to 100°f in the summer). What tires are you currently using? Is anyone still on the original tires and rims like myself?

I am currently looking for a better set of tires as my current continental’s are wearing unevenly and I want to try something else. Any suggestions? I think I might finally invest in a 2nd set of rims so I can pick up a set of winter tires later this year too. This could open up the possibility of trying out summer/performance tires (which I have never tried either).

Looking forward to seeing what suggestions you have for me. Thank you!

·
Registered
155 Posts
With all due respect Andrew, this topic has been discussed repeatedly. A quick search will lead you to plenty of recent info on tires and wheels and such. In an effort to be helpful I did a quick search for you and got the following results. Search results for query: tires

·
Registered
102 Posts
I agree with the history posts already covering the basics. If you do drive in the snow, ice, or sub-10F more than once or twice a season, winter tires are a game changer. I am in KC, work from home, and still really missed not having proper winter tires for my V60 this past winter. I had winters on my previous car and how it drove in the cold months was such a huge improvement compared to when I had all-seasons on it. If I can ever find a set of affordable 18" rims for my V60, I will pick them up and get dedicated winter tires.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am currently looking for a better set of tires as my current continental’s are wearing unevenly and I want to try something else. .
Abundant history within the forum notwithstanding, I will tell you that I will go straight to Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4's when I replace the tires on my S60 RD T8, based on very good experience using their AS3 and AS3+ tires on my previous car. I am in SC Kansas, so yes... sub-zero to 100+ temp range.

But my main reason for posting is to ask you a question, which is - what sort of "uneven" wear are you experiencing with the Conti's? I am assuming you have the same OE tire as myself... the 235/45-18 ProContact Tx... and wonder what I should be watching for as regards wear. I haven't seen any abnormal patterns yet, but I only have about 8k miles on the car at this point.

·
Registered
2019 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design Polestar
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Abundant history within the forum notwithstanding, I will tell you that I will go straight to Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4's when I replace the tires on my S60 RD T8, based on very good experience using their AS3 and AS3+ tires on my previous car. I am in SC Kansas, so yes... sub-zero to 100+ temp range.

But my main reason for posting is to ask you a question, which is - what sort of "uneven" wear are you experiencing with the Conti's? I am assuming you have the same OE tire as myself... the 235/45-18 ProContact Tx... and wonder what I should be watching for as regards wear. I haven't seen any abnormal patterns yet, but I only have about 8k miles on the car at this point.
Yes the Conti ProContact is what I am running right now. I seem to have developed a slight wiggle to one or two of the wheels. Flat straight roads are smooth and vibration free but when going into a tight corner there’s what feels to be a wobbling off the wheels. Dealer didn’t seem interested in looking into the issue at all and simply suggested tire rotation. This didn’t solve the issue at all. Could be flat spots from the car being parked but I drive at least twice a day so my car isn’t staying parked for long amounts of time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts