SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would start another topic on tires, as the one on wheels takes so long to load, due to the photos ( nice photos). I'm pleased to see that the XC90 with the 17" wheel comes with Pirelli Scorp. The only drawback I've read about them is they tend to become loud as they wear. My hope is that Nokian would bring out a tire in an appropriate size, and who knows; they may. They have a new tire out called the WR, which is a snowflake rated all season tire, with a 50k mile tread war. My instinct is that tires developed in Finland, should be pretty good in snow and ice.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by kullenberg:
My instinct is that tires developed in Finland, should be pretty good in snow and ice.

Yeah, that may be true but I hope that they won't follow the pattern from Gislaved; very good Swedish A/S and snow tires but extremely noisy.

Yannis

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The description on the Nokian site claims they are quiet, but then again, they would wouldn't they. I'm going to put a set on the ML in about a month, and I'll post my impressions.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Do you know which Scorp's will come with the 17" wheels? Will they be car or light truck tires?
I have the Scorp A/T's on my Grand Cherokee & I love 'em, very grippy wet or dry, tho they are slightly noisy due to the agressive tread. Gotta love that scorpion graphic on the sidewall!

Check out my site to see 'em.

·
Registered
184 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by blujeep:
Do you know which Scorp's will come with the 17" wheels? Will they be car or light truck tires?
I have the Scorp A/T's on my Grand Cherokee & I love 'em, very grippy wet or dry, tho they are slightly noisy due to the agressive tread. Gotta love that scorpion graphic on the sidewall!

Check out my site to see 'em.

I don't believe they are the Scorpion A/T's but rather the Scorpion Zero's.

Pat

·
Registered
184 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by blujeep:
Wow, cool. Those are nice tires.
Do you have any experience with them as far as wear, grip, noise, etc.?
Thanks.

Nope, no personal experience. I have heard they are crappy in the snow even with AWD.

Pat

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone have a feel for what a set of 16" wheels would cost? My thinking is to order them with the vehicle so as to change over to winter tires, when the snow flies. This particularly in view of the fact that the Scorpions don't have a great rep. in the snow. Then I could have the 17" tires for the non-snow season and a set of Nokian Haka's for the winter.

·
Registered
184 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by kullenberg:
Anyone have a feel for what a set of 16" wheels would cost? My thinking is to order them with the vehicle so as to change over to winter tires, when the snow flies. This particularly in view of the fact that the Scorpions don't have a great rep. in the snow. Then I could have the 17" tires for the non-snow season and a set of Nokian Haka's for the winter.

As a guess I would think somewhere in the range of $250 to $300 a wheel. Volvo OEM wheels aren't cheap. I believe new 17" Thor's are around $350 each to replace so extrapolating down it should be in the range above.

Pat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts