SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have the opportunity to get a set of 18x8" Pegs. What have people found to be an appropriate tire size on a lowered S70 that avoids rub/clearance problems?

I was planning to play it safe and go with 215/40-18, but that is a bit of a bizarre size. I am worried about rub going to 225/40-18s, based on my experiences with various 17" wheels. Not sure if going to 18s makes that any better.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Re: Tires size for S70 on 18x8" Wheels (irollturbo)

Quote, originally posted by irollturbo »
...I was planning to play it safe and go with 215/40-18, but that is a bit of a bizarre size....

What's so "bizarre" about it? I have run this size on 2 "lowered" S70's w/ 18x8" & have had no rubbing in years.

If you are coming off 16" wheels, you are in for a bit of a surprise. 18's sure look nice, but be prepared for a rougher ride. If you hit something in the road unexpectedly, you might be rewarded w/ a nice dent in the wheel.

After at least 5 yrs of 18's, I might be going back to 17's on my T5M, as I have on my RWD 244.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Tires size for S70 on 18x8" Wheels (Taleof2Bricks2)

Quote, originally posted by Taleof2Bricks2 »

What's so "bizarre" about it? I have run this size on 2 "lowered" S70's w/ 18x8" & have had no rubbing in years.

If you are coming off 16" wheels, you are in for a bit of a surprise. 18's sure look nice, but be prepared for a rougher ride. If you hit something in the road unexpectedly, you might be rewarded w/ a nice dent in the wheel.

After at least 5 yrs of 18's, I might be going back to 17's on my T5M, as I have on my RWD 244.

Thanks for the info.

Bizarre only in terms of there being very limited tire choices. What tires are you running?

I am coming from 17s on a lowered car with Bilsteins. No expectations of ride quality.

You still need to be careful with the 17s btw in terms of potholes and such.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Thanks for the info.

Bizarre only in terms of there being very limited tire choices. What tires are you running?

Check Discount Tire Direct (free shipping) or Tire Rack, and you'll see plenty of options.

I have run everything from Bridgestone to Hankook to Falken & 1 or 2 others. My T5M puts down some serious hp, so without trying, I often spin the wheels in 2nd & 3rd & only get about 10-12k
out of any set of tires (yes, I rotate them!), regardless. The Hankooks, believe it or not, are a pretty 'sticky' tire, have a strong sidewall, are 'wide' compared w/ other 18's & may be one of my favorites.

·
Registered
2004 S60R 6M - 2006 V70R 6M - 2014 XC60 R-Design OSD - 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum
1,832 Posts

I think you should go with the 225/40R18 size. It's the closest in circumference to the original 205/55R16.

I have tried 235/45R17 on 17x8 Pegs without encountering any rubbing. Mine is not lowered so I don't know if that will make any difference.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Tires size for S70 on 18x8" Wheels (Penguin)

Quote, originally posted by Penguin »
I think you should go with the 225/40R18 size. It's the closest in circumference to the original 205/55R16.

I have tried 235/45R17 on 17x8 Pegs without encountering any rubbing. Mine is not lowered so I don't know if that will make any difference.

I did decide to go with the 225/40 R18 in order to get the tires I wanted. It will be tight, but the wheel width corrected section width of the tires is the same as the ones on the car now, which are 225/45 R17 winter tires. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

I did decide to go with the 225/40 R18 in order to get the tires I wanted. ... I'll let everyone know how it works out.

Please do. I am sticking with 18's, but will change tires to 215/45 or 225/40, so I'd like to hear how yours turn out, in terms of ride comfort & looks (post pics, if poss). Thanks

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Here is how things turned out.

I tested the tire/wheel combo with 3 passengers in rear (2 kids + 1 adult)

- 18x8 Pegasus wheels with 225/40-18 tires, no spacers: Rubs front and rear. Front rubs on full lock. Rear rubs constantly on the inside against the fender liner.

-Same as above + 5mm spacers: With passengers in rear rubs on the outside over every big bump. Not enough clearance for fender to drop over tire on the outside. When car is unloaded there is no problem except a slight inner rub turning into driveways.

NET: Not a good fit.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

I figured that might happen. I have VERY little clearance with my 215's, though I know some on here do run 225's.

I don't feel like rolling any more fenders these days, so I will stick w/ 215/40R18's.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Tires size for S70 on 18x8" Wheels (Taleof2Bricks2)

Quote, originally posted by Taleof2Bricks2 »
I figured that might happen. I have VERY little clearance with my 215's, though I know some on here do run 225's.

I don't feel like rolling any more fenders these days, so I will stick w/ 215/40R18's.

Yep... I may swap these out for 215s. I think the 225s are ok for the empty car crowd.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Got my 215/45-17s back on the car for now until I figure out what I'm doing. With 3 Volvos and a couple extra sets of wheels I fortunately have the flexibility to screw up once in a while. Here are some pics of the 18s for the few hours they were on the car:

·
Administrator
76,001 Posts

looks nice - what lowering springs are you running?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Tires size for S70 on 18x8" Wheels ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected]ed »
looks nice - what lowering springs are you running?

Those are TME springs. It actually sits a bit lower in the rear than pictured. The car was sitting on a dip in the driveway.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Well... whoops. Doesn't look that the tires will be returnable.

Back on the car they will go now that I don't have to worry about scuffing them. I guess I will be getting back into fender rolling, which I've done before. I will let everyone know how this works out when it is all worked out. It'll be ok until then as long as I avoid seriously loading down the car.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Brief update. The 225/40-18 tires on the 18x8 pegs are back on the car tonight with the 5mm spacers. I did a 15 mile test drive at various speeds and road surfaces, including some big bumps and dips. With the car empty there were no rubs whatsoever.

So far I don't find the ride quality to be a whole lot different than the 17" wheels. The impact from bumps is a little sharper, but I can't say it is much harder. I have not driven on any seriously patched up streets yet though.

Handling feels vastly improved. Turn in is more crisp and corners are even more stable compared to the 17s on similar tires. The 17" wheels wear Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3. The 18" wheels wear Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric. The 17s will be going on a different car.

The Asymmetric are XL rated tires. This may result in a beefier sidewall that could explain some of my rubbing issues. (The rub us against the sidewall)

It will be a couple weeks until I get to rolling the rear fender and I will post back here on that experience and on how the loaded car behaves.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (Eddietion)

Pegs with 5mm spacer are ET41. A 3mm spacer would help.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Re: (irollturbo)

Should've gone with 225/35/18s. 225/40/18s require fender rolling. Wish i would've seen this thread before you bought them. I run 225/35/18 Yokohama parada spec 2s on 18x7.5" wheels with ET38. With no spacers they don't rub at all, even at full lock. With 8.5mm spacers in the rear they look fantastic but rub very little on the outside fender with 2 adults in the backseat (only when cornering hard). Once some plastic from the liner rubbed off they don't rub anymore. I'm lowered on EST springs.

215/40/18s fit perfect, but again, are hard to find.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Brief update. The 225/40-18 tires on the 18x8 pegs are back on the car tonight with the 5mm spacers. I did a 15 mile test drive at various speeds and road surfaces, including some big bumps and dips. With the car empty there were no rubs whatsoever.

So far I don't find the ride quality to be a whole lot different than the 17" wheels. The impact from bumps is a little sharper, but I can't say it is much harder. I have not driven on any seriously patched up streets yet though.

Handling feels vastly improved. Turn in is more crisp and corners are even more stable compared to the 17s on similar tires. The 17" wheels wear Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3. The 18" wheels wear Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric. The 17s will be going on a different car.

The Asymmetric are XL rated tires. This may result in a beefier sidewall that could explain some of my rubbing issues. (The rub us against the sidewall)

It will be a couple weeks until I get to rolling the rear fender and I will post back here on that experience and on how the loaded car behaves.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I got around to rolling the rear fenders yesterday. It's not a bad job with the right tools and some patience. I haven't had a chance to test the clearances with a loaded car again, but there appears to be plenty of room now.

As an aside, the ride quality with the 225-40/18s has been just fine for me. As I had mentioned in a previous post, bumps feel a bit sharper, but not any harder. I have since driven on some pretty bumpy roads and my opinion regarding ride remains the same. However, that's not to say that the 18s won't be more prone to damage when encountering a wheel swallowing pot hole. I should also mention that the tires I have on there have received good reviews for ride quality.

Rolling the fenders addresses the clearance issues on the outside of the tire against the fender lip. While I had the wheels off the car I did see some signs of inner rub (caused when turning onto inclines). The inner rub was between the wheel lip and one of the fender liner retaining bolts and caused some scratches to the inner wheel surface. Not a big deal, but any wheel weights attached to the wheel lip would have surely been knocked off. Better to use the glue-on weights even on the inside due to this. I got out my dremel tool and cut back the fender liner retaining bolt a bit more.

There is also some sight rub at full lock in front on the inside of the tire against the fender liner. This is not enough to worry about. The rear fender lip was my big problem.

I wasn't able to find any good information on how to roll the rear fenders on the S70, so I thought I would post my experience here. I have rolled the rear fender on a 240, but the big unknown for me was how to handle the rear plastic fender liner on the S70. As it turns out, this was not a big issue.

The tools I used for the job were a fender roller, heat gun, infrared thermometer, 10mm deep socket, tin snips (for the plastic), dremel tool with cutoff wheel (for that retaining bolt), as well as jack, jack stands, and normal wheel removal tools.

Once the car is on the jack stands with the wheels off, the first step in the process is to trim back the plastic fender liner. I recommend doing this first so that the liner is out of the way and in the right position when the metal rolling is done.

To start the trimming process I began by first removing the liner plastic where it covers the fender lip itself. The liner makes a right angle turn to cover the lip. When bending this back the plastic pretty much snapped at the right angle on its own (old, dry, brittle plastic). I just had to help it along by cutting the plastic with the tin snips here and there. I removed this plastic lip from the point there the wheel well meets the bumper cover at rear to a point just under where the rear fender meets the door at front. The front point was somewhat arbitrary. I only wanted to do enough rolling to address my tire clearance issue, so there was no reason to trim the fender liner all the way.

Here is a picture of how things look at this point. You can see the liner lip trimmed away and the liner extending down along the back of the metal fender lip.

The goal is to get the liner to tuck up and behind the lip. This will get it out of the way, and when the fender is rolled, it will be secured in place. As you can see from the picture there is still to much liner material for this to happen. The next step is to trim the liner up just enough so it can tuck into the fender lip.

When doing this trimming you will run into these locating tabs in the plastic as shown in the picture below.

I just cut those tabs away - just put a cut on each side of it, bend it back, and cut it off so it doesn't get it in the way later. With tabs cut out and the liner trimmed up and tucked behind the fender lip, the following picture shows what things look like.

In the above picture you can also see the bolt I mentioned earlier that was scraping the inside of the wheel. That lower right (rear) bolt - the one with the slightly rusted color - is the one to trim down with the dremel tool.

The next step is to roll the metal fender lip back. In the process it will secure the plastic liner in place. The Tirerack web site has some pretty good instructions that cover the fender rolling. I bought the fender rolling tool from them. In order to attach the tool to the wheel hub I had to remove the 10mm rotor retaining bolt/ wheel locating stud. This let me get all the holes lined up on the hub. The fender roller came with spacers to allow the original wheel bolts to be used to secure the tool.

When rolling the metal it is important to keep the paint warm to avoid cracking. I used a heat gun for this as shown in the following picture.

The target temperature is 120-140 degrees Fahrenheit. I measured this with an infrared thermometer as shown below.

The rolling process is done a little at a time - heat a little, roll a little, heat a little, roll a little. I started at top center and worked my way to one side and then the other bending the metal just a bit. After this I adjusted the roller on the tool to a slightly more vertical position and repeated the process and bending the metal a little more. This is done repeatedly with the roller becoming more and more vertical. The following pictures show this progression.

I was able to do both sides with no damage to the paint. The following picture shows what it looked like after the rolling. You can also get a look at the tool in this picture.

From the outside of the fender you can see that the rolling is not visible.

I then repeated the process for the other side of the car, which you can see below.

The next set of pictures shows the car back on the ground (car unloaded)

(White mark on fender lip in the picture below is some sort of reflection)

(Angle of camera makes clearance look like a country mile)

While I was at it, I replaced the front rotors and pads (off topic, but I had the pic)

The process of rolling the fenders was really not too bad. The biggest hurdle for me was overcoming the fear factor - fear of ruining the car. As I mentioned, I have also done some fender rolling on a Volvo 240; while that car has no plastic liner, the metal was much thicker and harder to work with. Once the liner was removed on the S70, working the metal was like working with aluminum foil by comparison.

I ended up doing the job myself, because it proved impossible to find someone to do this work. I guess there is fear of damaging the paint. This is something that can happen to anyone even if careful. So keep that in mind should you embark on this journey yourself.

I'm happy with the result and very happy to be into the 225 width tires, which offer more choices. I do like the looks of the 18" pegs better than the 17" having had both. These 18's are the Titanium color as opposed to the white silver. I was worried about putting this color on a Silver car, but I think it looks fine. These Titanium pegs are the first wheels I've had that seem to look better as the get dirty.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.