SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I experienced the tire vibration on my 100+ mile trip home after picking up our new car. A few of you helped steer me in the right direction by getting Pilot Sport As3's put on under warranty. I had that done earlier today, but have snow wheels/tires on now so I have zero feedback to offer on the new ones. I can't get over how odd Pirellis decision was to add foam to the inside of the tire. I have had hundreds of tires put on all sorts of cars and have never seen or heard of this before. I didn't bother asking, but does anyone know if Volvo did this with the AS3 replacement tires as well? Just wondering if this is Volvo trying to cut down on road noise complaints or if it was Pirelli trying to make up for a lousy tire design. Nice of Volvo to give me both sets of tires, but I guess I don't really have a use for them.

·
Registered
326 Posts
It is my understanding, the foam is there to help reduce road noise. They were first used on Tesla cars because, with no gas engine system, the road noice was very noticeable. The foam reduces the sound of road noise. If you go to the Pirelli website, go to PNCS (Pirelli Noise Cancelling System).

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription
263 Posts
I had mine replaced with the Pilots and am very happy with them. I think the foam is strictly an OEM feature, should not be on the Michelins. Hopefully you got the AS3+ tires, which are an updated version. I got them.

·
Registered
XC40 P8 Recharge Pro AWD
457 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting info. Thanks for the links!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Same happened to me last summer on a 6 month old car. If the foam gets dislodged the dealer will replace it under normal warranty. A tire that has the foam break loose can't be repaired, just replaced.

Really a silly idea if you ask me. Line the wheel wells with noise deadening material, it's more effective and way easier to fix.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was hoping to reboot this thread with a question. I was experiencing the dreaded "vibration at speed" symptoms and mentioned it to the dealer. He said the problem was "the foam coming loose" and is not covered under any kind of warranty ("it's wear and tear"). Instead, he said the only option (apart from getting four new tires) was to remove all four tire, remove the foam and glue, and put the old tires back on. "They'll probably be a little louder, but they should be OK". He said he wasn't going to charge me for this (he already charged me for a wheel alignment, which obviously wasn't the problem), but am I to understand that this SHOULD be replaced under warranty?

·
Registered
907 Posts
I was hoping to reboot this thread with a question. I was experiencing the dreaded "vibration at speed" symptoms and mentioned it to the dealer. He said the problem was "the foam coming loose" and is not covered under any kind of warranty ("it's wear and tear"). Instead, he said the only option (apart from getting four new tires) was to remove all four tire, remove the foam and glue, and put the old tires back on. "They'll probably be a little louder, but they should be OK". He said he wasn't going to charge me for this (he already charged me for a wheel alignment, which obviously wasn't the problem), but am I to understand that this SHOULD be replaced under warranty?
They will only replace it under warranty if you got protection from volvo dealer otherwise SOL had same happen to me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Similar foam issue with mine. Volvo would not replace them but I brought them to Discount Tire and they were able to do a warranty replacement through Continental Tire for all four. They actually let me pick non foam replacements as well.

I assume Discount would do Pirelli as well but I would think any authorized tire dealer would be able to help as well. Just bring all your service docs from Volvo when you go. I know it's a little inconvenient but you should get the problem fixed once and for all.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Similar foam issue with mine. Volvo would not replace them but I brought them to Discount Tire and they were able to do a warranty replacement through Continental Tire for all four. They actually let me pick non foam replacements as well...
Discount Tire is the best. They have my business for life. Did you have the ProContact TX's? What did you select as your replacements? What differences have you noticed in noise and handling?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
So,

I recently started another thread on a similar topic over here, and the conversation turned to foam, so here I am.

The TLDR version is I put my winter tires on the 18" wheels the car came with, and then spent months unable to find wheels for my summers. When a set finally popped up, they were 20".

Partially out of desperation, and partially out of a desire to just get my wheel hunt over with, against my better judgment I bought them. I have been a long time critic of low profile tires, and now here I am with low profile tires. Figures.

Anyway, I went with Continental DWS06 in 255/35R20. Car handles great, and is controlled like it is on rails. I was expecting more road noise (you know, classic white noise whoosh) from the low profile tires, but what I got was something I did not expect. A pitched metallic hum, almost like a quiet low pitched Tibetan singing bowl. I have since been informed that this is a pretty classic example of cavity resonance, and why Volvo opted for the Pirellis with foam on the models that came with low profile tires from the factory.

Here is how Michelin describes it on their webpage:

Hooting.. Not what I would have called it, but I guess....

If you navigate to my other thread linked above, I posted some videos where I tried to capture the sound, but it didn't record well on a phone. You can still kind of hear the noise if you try to carefully listen for it.

Anyway, it seems like these Pirelli Foam tires are pretty universally hated. Are there any other options for dampening this noise? I understand both Continental and Michelin have tire models with damping foam in them. Are theirs any better?

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have 13000 on my Pirelli tires (with foam) and have no major complaints thus far, aside from the flat tire and the dealer saying the tire had to be replaced because it was too difficult to repair because of the foam.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I guess what I am trying to decide is if it is worth buying these Pirelli's with foam to get rid of the 200hz cavity resonance in my 20's.

I understand some people have had issues with the foam separating. Maybe if I add some sort of extra road hazard, or other insurance to them when I buy them it will minimize the risk...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts