SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tire I'm looking to get through Discounttire stocks only 225/40/18. I realize that the tire will be slightly narrower and about .3" shorter diameter. The upside would be no wheel rub which i still have with 5mm spaces on the front. Less tire noise, better in the winter, and the pegs might look a bit more aggressive
. Downsides would be rougher ride over bumps, not sure about the wheel gap but I am lowered and the speedo would be just a tad off by less than a mile. Note that this is the equal but opposite difference as going to 245/40/18. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Tires Question (xman03)

c'mon now, I kno plenty of you guys ran 225s in the picture. Reflections ... pictures
please

·
Registered
1,714 Posts

Quote, originally posted by xman03 »
Less tire noise, better in the winter, and the pegs might look a bit more aggressive
. Downsides would be rougher ride over bumps, not sure about the wheel gap but I am lowered and the speedo would be just a tad off by less than a mile. Note that this is the equal but opposite difference as going to 245/40/18. What do you guys think?

I think you are reaching with your pros list. I don't think you will be able to tell a difference in tire noise (especially with that exhaust you have). The benefit of narrow tires in the winter I thought was only to get traction in deep snow. Less or no rub might be your only true benefit.

Quote, originally posted by xman03 »
c'mon now, I kno plenty of you guys ran 225s in the picture. Reflections ... pictures please

I don't remember many if any discussions on R owners switching to 225's for the 18" wheels. There are plenty of options in 235/40 there have not been many complaints on how they look.

I have however heard this discussion in the S60 forum for cars that came with 17" wheels. The US spec cars came with 235/45s and euro spec cars came with 225/45s, so many US owners ended up switching to the 225s.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts

TireRack doesn't have your size?? If your wheel wells are rolled, then I suggest running 15mm in front and 5mm in rear...and get wider (proper size for our car) tires. AWD is certainly enough than worrying about narrower tires in a theory which orignated in the 1970's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts