SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a four wheel alignment done on my 05 XC70 and the tire guy said my tires were "cupped" and "don't do the Florida run (700 miles) again on those tires". So, what do I replace them with? We get some snow and ice in winter and I take a very winding road to and from work. Also, when it rains here it really pours and I like a quiet ride. So, any recommendations from personal experience would be appreciated. :cool:

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
Whatever you like
What price range do you want to be in and what road conditions will you be driving in 99% of the time?

I don't know what a little wet snow has to do with anything?
A good XC with functioning AWD even running mild all season tires will go thru most anything except a 12" storm!

General Altimax is a cheap and very quiet tire.
I think the Altimax line has just been superceeded with another/better named tire line but that's easy enough to find out
I put a set on an XC I sold and was surprised how quiet they were (and still are, it went to a relative)

·
Registered
151 Posts
We've been running the Michelin Hydroedge on both of our XC70's as our summer tire and have been very happy with them. Minimal issues during heavy rain and they do well in light snow as well.

We do have dedicated winter tires since we do live in Colorado....

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I'm a big Conti DWS fan.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I'm extremely happy with the Kumho Ecsta ASX all seasons I'm running. Cheap, quiet, and much better in the wet than my last set of performance all seasons.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
OP, where are you 99% of the time? All I can guess is you are 700 mi north, northwest or west of Florida. Different areas experience drastically different winters. Michelin is King of quiet and comfort, but also the high-price leader, FWIW. If we knew where you are, locals could chime in.

As for the cupping, it means you are going too long between rotations. A good schedule is at the same interval as an oil change, but if you are going by the mfr 7500 mi oil changes, I would rotate more often, like 5000 mi, or even more frequent if you turn your wheel much more than drive w/it straight. Curves wear out the outside edges of the front tires & getting them off that position frequently gives them a break.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts