SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi SS,

Long time reader, first time poster. I got a pretty good deal on a CPO dealer owned demo 2017 S60 Inscription Platinum, purchased in May of 2018 with 5K miles on it. It's my wife's car, and so far through about the 15K mark the car has been great with none of the "built in China" perceived quality issues I was a little worried about.

I just had to put new tires on one of our other cars, so started thinking about what to put on the Volvo when the time comes. It has the OEM Pirelli P7 in 234/45-18, and they seem to be wearing pretty well. The wear was a little uneven so I had a 4 wheel alignment done and the tires rotated at around 14K miles. I anticipate they will need to be replaced around the 25-30K mark.

Now for my question. What are most people running on these cars? Winter traction is not really a concern of mine, so I am leaning towards a performance oriented or premium touring tire with a minimum 50K mile tread life warranty, and will most likely get them from Discount Tire or Costco. The options I am considering now are P7s, Continental (True Contact or DWS), General G-MAX, BFG Advantage T/A Sport, or the appropriate Bridgestone Potenza model. I've had the P7 and Conti True Contact on other cars, but the other models would be new to me. Anything else I should consider or any recommendations from the models I am considering?

Thank you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi SS,

Long time reader, first time poster. I got a pretty good deal on a CPO dealer owned demo 2017 S60 Inscription Platinum, purchased in May of 2018 with 5K miles on it. It's my wife's car, and so far through about the 15K mark the car has been great with none of the "built in China" perceived quality issues I was a little worried about.

I just had to put new tires on one of our other cars, so started thinking about what to put on the Volvo when the time comes. It has the OEM Pirelli P7 in 234/45-18, and they seem to be wearing pretty well. The wear was a little uneven so I had a 4 wheel alignment done and the tires rotated at around 14K miles. I anticipate they will need to be replaced around the 25-30K mark.

Now for my question. What are most people running on these cars? Winter traction is not really a concern of mine, so I am leaning towards a performance oriented or premium touring tire with a minimum 50K mile tread life warranty, and will most likely get them from Discount Tire or Costco. The options I am considering now are P7s, Continental (True Contact or DWS), General G-MAX, BFG Advantage T/A Sport, or the appropriate Bridgestone Potenza model. I've had the P7 and Conti True Contact on other cars, but the other models would be new to me. Anything else I should consider or any recommendations from the models I am considering?

Thank you.
I am a big fan of the Michelin pilot sport 4S (have the 3S on my Saab) - $980 after current Costco promo - they are very smooth & quiet, no noise, wear well (not for snow)

·
Registered
827 Posts
I am a big fan of the Michelin pilot sport 4S (have the 3S on my Saab) - $980 after current Costco promo - they are very smooth & quiet, no noise, wear well (not for snow)
Interesting.This is exactly what I had on my S60 until recently (19" size), and I just didn't like them at all. Noisy and "twitchy" handling on dry (no rain here in SoCal). Replaced with Conti's - much better in every regard - handling (predictable and stable), noise level, comfort, fuel economy. All of the tires in the OP's post are excellent A/S options. Sumitomo HTR Enhance is a good budget option as well, available form TireRack. Don't recommend Yokohama Advan Sport from DiscountTire - wear well, but extremely noisy.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Right now I'm still running the tires that were on the car when I bought it in January; the previous owner had put them on less than 5,000 miles before I bought it. They're not what I would have chosen but they're good enough for now, albeit noisy.

When I the time comes to replace them, I will probably go with a set of Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus tires. They are a very good "all propose" tire - they're quiet, comfortable, good in the rain, above average in the dry, and they last between 60,000 and 80,000 miles. I loved them on my P80 and I expect the same with the P3.

The Michelin Pilot Sports are great tires, but I've reached the age where I don't really want all out summer tires on my daily driver sedan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts