SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to know if anyone else has had this problem. I just picked up my new '02 S80 2.9 a few weeks ago, and already it's been in the shop twice for a vibration problem coming up through the steering wheel and the seats. At the first visit, the dealer rebalanced the wheels, but this didn't solve the problem. Now, I'm being told that my rear tires are "out of round". My car has Michelin 225/50 MXM4's. I've never heard of such a thing. Can someone explain to me what this means? Is it common? New tires are going on today, under warranty, so hopefully my problem will be solved. But I'm curious to know if others have experienced a similar problem.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Re: Tires Are Out Of Round???? (MyGreenS80)

Hmmm, I think it can happen when a tire is stored vertically rather than horizontally. That said, it's also feasible it could have happened if the car sat stationary for an extended period of time, but that's just a guess.<p>Maybe they're just defective. Let us know how the new ones work for you, and welcome to Swedespeed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Tires Are Out Of Round???? ([email protected])

Thanks for the gracious welcome to Swedespeed. It was with great sorrow that I parted with my Passat, and the VW Vortex, but I'm excited about my new Volvo purchase.<p>I just spoke to my local tire dealer, Direct Tire, in Watertown, Massachusetts. The sales person, Dave, explained to me that when a tire is out of round, it's a manufacturing defect. He indicated that tires are out of round from day one; it's not something that happens over time. And it usually means that one or more of the internal layers within the tire have separated, causing the tire to be "out of round" in one area. <p>So I guess I've answered my own question. But if anyone has a different view, I'd be pleased to here it. <p>

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Re: Tires Are Out Of Round???? (MyGreenS80)

Is that a dangerous thing driving on a tire with seperated layers? How about at highway speed? <br>Good your getting a new set, must have been really bad if was noticable on the back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts