SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed my two rear tires (michelin) on my '99XC. The guy said that since I have goodyears on my front, it would cause long-term damage to my AWD system. Nowhere in my owners manual states this. Only if the tire dimensions are different could it be a potential problem, which is not my case. In fact my dealer changed the front tires from the original, and said no problem with it. Comments?<P><BR>Has anyone notice a sort of subtle shaking when accelerating from stop?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Your AWD system has a low tolerence for wheel circumferences that are different. If you have new tires in your rear, and more worn tread in the front, the circumference will be different. However, I do believe that a circumference difference below 3-4 cm is accetable. (basicly take a tape measure and wrap it around the tread of your tires).<P>-Alex<BR>1998 V70 T-5M

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
I've heard that it is wise to replace all tires on those cars when you put new ones on it. <P>I do know of an XC that was brought in to one of the dealers I go to for this reason (guessing it was outside of any gray area) as it blew out the VC differential.<P>If it were my car and my opinion, I'd opt for a whole new set of tires.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts