SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All four of my 18" Pegs are bent again. This will be the 4th time I've had all straightened and it's starting to get frustrating.

Is the only option for avoiding bent Pegs switching to 17"? I really much prefer the looks of 18s. I've jacked up my tire pressure to 40psi all around thinking maybe that will help, but the ride is extra harsh now.

Is it worth straightening them over and over, or should I just start from scratch and get new wheels? Can they ever really fully be fixed? I'm beginning to think they never really were fixed since the vibration has never fully gone away.

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
That blows. I haven't had any issues with my 18s yet, but I'm also not on super crappy roads.

I have, however, killed two Volans in my driving life.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Forgestar has a lifetime warrenty against bends.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Move

·
Registered
3,463 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
All four of my 18" Pegs are bent again. This will be the 4th time I've had all straightened and it's starting to get frustrating.

Is the only option for avoiding bent Pegs switching to 17"? I really much prefer the looks of 18s. I've jacked up my tire pressure to 40psi all around thinking maybe that will help, but the ride is extra harsh now.

Is it worth straightening them over and over, or should I just start from scratch and get new wheels? Can they ever really fully be fixed? I'm beginning to think they never really were fixed since the vibration has never fully gone away.
You live in Boston... I hate driving there so much! Just tunnels themselves suck. It's ridiculous how big of a potholes go unnoticed. Also the bridge seams somehow have a 4" tall lip on 93North.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Before I had pressures at 36psi front and 38 psi rear. Will a few psi make that much of a difference? Is it exacerbated by worn shocks maybe? My fronts are due for replacement soon.

Also the bridge seams somehow have a 4" tall lip on 93North.
Even in a friend's car which has 15" wheels and huge tires those are brutal. I make it a point to try not to drive anywhere north or east of the city due to the roads being particularly awful.

I guess I should look into buying stronger wheels, I just like the looks of the Pegs a lot.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nope, I've avoided Continental tires for that reason. I had Goodyear F1 All Seasons before, now I have Yokohama Avid Envigors. Bends on both sets of tires.

The thing is, even when I take the wheels off and inspect them, I cannot see any bends. They must be very minor, but enough to give me slight vibrations from 60mph+

·
Registered
373 Posts
Man, I've never bent a rim on any of my cars. Steel or aluminum. What do they pave the roads over there with.. boulders?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Where I live roads are really s***ty and by driving carefully I never had any problem.

One solution I think would be of having tires less low profile?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just for perspective, this is the "pothole" that opened up on I93 north last year:

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where I live roads are really s***ty and by driving carefully I never had any problem.

One solution I think would be of having tires less low profile?
I've heard of people using 235/45/18 tires, but is an extra 1.1cm of sidewall going to make that much of a difference?

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
What part of Boston are you in and where do you commute?

I know it has terribad roads, but I typically never experience them.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Man, I've never bent a rim on any of my cars. Steel or aluminum. What do they pave the roads over there with.. boulders?
In your neck of the woods, I'm guessing you probably don't deal with road salt and frost heaves. They kill roads! And then heavy trucks slaughter the remains.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Bent wheels and blown out tires was one of the reason I sold my last R. If you want to enjoy the R, then 18+" wheels are a must. The roads in the NE chew up big wheels and there seems to be no way around it.

Speaking from experience, once a wheel is bent, it loses a % of the overall integrity it once had. Only certain types of bends can actuall be fully repaired, as in they can bring back the original integrity of the wheel. Most places just visually unbend your wheel, and you will still have vibration.

I wish you luck.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bent wheels and blown out tires was one of the reason I sold my last R. If you want to enjoy the R, then 18+" wheels are a must. The roads in the NE chew up big wheels and there seems to be no way around it.

Speaking from experience, once a wheel is bent, it loses a % of the overall integrity it once had. Only certain types of bends can actuall be fully repaired, as in they can bring back the original integrity of the wheel. Most places just visually unbend your wheel, and you will still have vibration.

I wish you luck.
That's what I was afraid of. So I should technically just buy a new set of Pegs every time instead of spending $150 per wheel each time to have them straightened and remounted? With Volvo discounts, it's often only $200 or so per Peg.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts