SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my father's 850 in for an alignment yesterday, but couldn't have it done because they noticed that the car needed a new left outer tie rod end, so I had them do the balancing, and took the car to my mechanic. I ordered the part, and this morning my mehanic installed the part, and when he was about to lower the car to the ground I noticed that there was a "chunk" of the wheel missing right below the tire, and right above the missing "chunk" of wheel, there was a vertical "cut" in the Micheln tire. I have been unable to take a good picture of the part of the wheel that is missing, but have a good picture of the tire.

I put tire shine on the tires every week after washing the car, and I am certain that when I washed the car last Thursday that the tire and wheel were in splendid condition. I am going to have a word with my tire/wheel place tomorrow, but more than likely I am going to have to pay the $149 for the tire, and use the 5th Voxx wheel that is sitting in my closet. To make matters worse, they guy at the tire/wheel place that drove the car in to the shop was apparently smoking like a chimney, and that oh so pleasant smell was evident when I drove the car back to my mechanic on Monday.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Gee...does the bad luck ever stop with this car? I hope you get it sorted out, but minimum a wheel change and most likely a tire change too.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (MadeInJapan)

I ditched my old tire/wheel place, and took the car to Big O' Tires this afternoon. I purchased a new 215/45/17 Micheln Pilot Sport from them, which they installed on my new fifth Voxx wheel, and had them then do the alignment on the car. The car is now driving straight, and Big O' has a six month 6k warranty on the alignment, so the shop manager told me to bring it in when the car was at 5k and they would do another alignment-just to be safe. I am wondering if I should use the wheel/tire that was taken off today as the spare, or should I continue to use the 195/60/15 tire/wheel that I took off and put in use as a spare when I had the Voxx wheels installed late last year. Thanks again for all the help, and I hope that your evening is a splendid one

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Hard to know how bad the tire was damaged from the photo. You might be able to use it as a spare, depending. I have a true size tire as my spare (matches all the rest of the wheels too) for my S70, but the wheel with tire is actually a bit too large for the spare tire well. The trunk floor actually is raised up some.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts