SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that all 4 tires seem to wear more on the inside. Is that normal? Original Pirelli Scorpion. Do I need an alignment?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Confirm you have the proper air pressure, it sounds like you may need an alignment.
Thanks for your reply!

Tire pressure is ok. Car is 6 months old. Is it possible that it was never properly aligned? I've never driven over any obstacles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've noticed that all 4 tires seem to wear more on the inside. Is that normal? Original Pirelli Scorpion. Do I need an alignment?
We have a 2011 XC60 that my wife drives a lot of long distances (highway) and the Pirelli Scorpions had to be replaced at 50,000 miles -- did not replace until after 60K. while I'm not complaining at all about getting 60,000 miles from a set of tires my beef is that the tires still had tread left but after a tire rotation at 50K the tires got unbearably LOUD. So, our dealership thought maybe we had an alignment problem and put the XC60 on the rack and the alignment was PERFECT. So they attributed it to tire cupping and we replaced them with Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia's.

With the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia's we now have 45,000 miles on them, they have been rotated every 10,000 miles and they have been absolutely wonderful tires. The ride is a little less sporty but much quieter and the wear has been phenomenal. So we now have 105,000 miles on the Volvo! :thumbup:

·
Registered
87 Posts
We have a 2011 XC60 that my wife drives a lot of long distances (highway) and the Pirelli Scorpions had to be replaced at 50,000 miles -- while I'm not complaining at all about getting 50,000 miles from a set of tires my beef is that the tires still had plenty of tread left but after a tire rotation at 50K the tires got unbearably LOUD. So, our dealership thought maybe we had an alignment problem and put the XC60 on the rack and the alignment was PERFECT. So they attributed it to tire cupping and we replaced them with Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia's.
There are a lot of complaints on TireRack about the Pirellis getting louder with age. From the reviews you were probably lucky to get 50k.

·
Registered
92 Posts
+1 on the Pirelli's being junk. Only got 30,000km (not miles) with religious tire rotations. Moved on to Nitto NT421Q's and are so much happier.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
We have a 2011 XC60 that my wife drives a lot of long distances (highway) and the Pirelli Scorpions had to be replaced at 50,000 miles -- while I'm not complaining at all about getting 50,000 miles from a set of tires my beef is that the tires still had plenty of tread left but after a tire rotation at 50K the tires got unbearably LOUD. So, our dealership thought maybe we had an alignment problem and put the XC60 on the rack and the alignment was PERFECT. So they attributed it to tire cupping and we replaced them with Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia's.

With the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia's we now have 55,000 miles on them, they have been rotated every 10,000 miles and they have been absolutely wonderful tires. The ride is a little less sporty but much quieter and the wear has been phenomenal. So we now have 105,000 miles on the Volvo! :thumbup:
Apologies for hijacking this thread, but have you had many problems along the way? My wife's is a 2013 with 30,000 and we want to keep it. It has been great so far.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Thanks for your reply!

Tire pressure is ok. Car is 6 months old. Is it possible that it was never properly aligned? I've never driven over any obstacles.
Did you get an alignment? What were the before/after specs?

I have similar issue. I am balancing and alighment every 6k.
I run the min pressure lately and i hope i could see the changes.
How different are your alignment specs after each 6000miles? With camber not adjustable on these cars, are you just tweaking the toe every time?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Apologies for hijacking this thread, but have you had many problems along the way? My wife's is a 2013 with 30,000 and we want to keep it. It has been great so far.
Sent you a PM -- BTW - had a senior moment! The Pirelli's started humming at 50,000 miles, got worse, had the tires rotated and it got unbearable! That's when they were changed at over 60K!!!! I corrected my post above.

·
Registered
397 Posts
My friend and I both had to replace the Pirellis on our XC60s before this winter. Hers had about 51K and mine only about 45K. We're both running Goodyear TripleTreds now. Hopefully they will be better in the snow than the Pirellis!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am amazed at these numbers - must have some seriously good roads over there. I would have guessed a very rough average tyre life at about 40,000km in Australia. (And I would be happy to get this) If you guys are getting 50,000 to 60,000 MILES (80,000km +) that is amazing.

I think you should be careful pushing the limits of the tyres - this can be pretty noticeable in wet conditions, where minimal tread can lead to aquaplaning (and not just the obvious reduced braking capabilities) .

·
Registered
466 Posts
Hmm, looks like I'm in the minority by loving the Pirellis. Almost have 70000 miles on my 2012 RD and they've been fantastic. Sure, a little louder the last 5k miles or so, but if I can get 75k miles out of a set of tires without issues, I'm happy

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hmm, looks like I'm in the minority by loving the Pirellis. Almost have 70000 miles on my 2012 RD and they've been fantastic. Sure, a little louder the last 5k miles or so, but if I can get 75k miles out of a set of tires without issues, I'm happy
I'm very surprised. I would have thought the R-Design had a more summer-oriented tire which would most likely wear more quickly than the tires fitted to non-R-design XC60s.

Did you R-Design come with Pirelli Scorpions or were they a different model?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts