SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for the rear tires to wear faster than the fronts?

I've had my current tires on for something like 12k miles without rotating them, and the front tires are at 9/32 and the rears are at 8/32.

Mostly highway driving, although in city driving I like to feel the AWD system plummet me around tight corners. (My rear brake rotors look like hell, lots of blue spots...)

Alignment is dead nuts on spec. The tire wear is very even inside-center-outside, which is actually kind of surprising with the amount of negative camber it has.

·
Registered
291 Posts
My fronts wear faster (1/32 per year) and I swap front to rear each year when I swap snows to summer tires.

GLM

·
Registered
527 Posts
It's the way you drive and the awd system. You (and me) like to engage the awd with hard acceleration on tight corners. When you do this the split to the rear is maximized, the awd pressure spikes to 500 psi. with maximum torque to the rear wheels. Since your also cornering and the rear is lighter it can wear (slip) a little more.

I monitor the awd pressure and its during these conditions where you feel it on heavy throttle tight corners that's its pushing the most power to the rear for the longest time. Typically it hits in the 300-350psi driving but when tight turning acceleration it ramps super fast to near 500 and holds till you pull through. It actually can kick in very strong in some situations going from 50psi to 500 very quickly. Its like dropping the clutch on the rear wheels.

Thats whats probably causing it, if the alignment is good, and the rear trailing arm forward bushing is good, and there really is no toe wear on the tire.

Congratulations on the even tread wear. I'm almost there..:)

·
Registered
861 Posts
I've had my current tires on for something like 12k miles without rotating them
That is almost as long as the original Pirelli tires on these cars lasted - most folks got 15-18k out of them. You should really rotate the tires more often. I rotate tires every 5000 miles

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
That is almost as long as the original Pirelli tires on these cars lasted - most folks got 15-18k out of them. You should really rotate the tires more often. I rotate tires every 5000 miles
Manual says don’t rotate. I don’t.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Mine wore the rear tires terribly until I replaced these bushings.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
They're actually my winter tires - Cooper Weathermasters, in 225/45-18. I ruined a summer tire last fall and one of the others is imperfect, and these tires are two winters old so I'm going to be throwing them out after I take them off. So, instead of buying a pair of summer tires (other two are nearly full tread) to swap on and then a set of four winter tires, I'm just going to leave these on until October and then buy another set of winters, and in the meantime keep an eye out for a good deal on some straight 17" Pegasuses and switch summer rubber to 235/45-17 for ride quality/reduced likelihood of having bashed up wheels.

I probably have 20k total on these winter tires. They do still have lots of tread but the second season they were on, I could tell the rubber compound was dying. If autocrossers can life out a tire after it has had 30-40 runs then I will life out my winter tires after two winters.... and winter tires are way more important than trying to get a plastic trophy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts