SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight (fortunately while in the garage and not on the road) one of the tire air valve stems on my wife's 2008 XC70 failed, apparently due to corrosion.

This is the second time this has happened to us with a Volvo, both times around 70k. The first time it happened was on my 2009 C30.

Is this a known issue with these cars? Do the tire valve stems have a finite life? I have never had this happen before with another make of car. Perhaps I've been lucky, IDK.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Is this for the Tire Pressure warning System? No issues on my 2007 S80 with TPS with 77k miles. I have had tire valve stems leak/crack on other cars.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I lost two TPMS valve stems to cracking (probably corrosion-induced) while I had my V70. There's probably some residual tensile stress on the outside surface of the tube from manufacturing that helps one or more of the tiny salt-induced cracks propagate through over time. Fortunately Volvo doesn't require any programming at all to change a sensor, and there are reasonably inexpensive aftermarket sensors that any shop can install as a "plug and play" fix. This sort of thing would have been more expensive on my former Toyota.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts