SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Tire size

2K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  Peter2400 
#1 ·
Hi! Does anyone know whats the biggest diameter tyre (tire+rim) fits under a stock suspension NON-4c 2007 s80 (without rubbing ofc)? 225/60 R17 would fit?
Many thanks!

#2 ·
I've got 215/55R 17's on my 4C. Calls for 50's, but I wanted a little bit bigger of a sidewall for when I hit potholes and typical road hazards. I'm sure I'm sacrificing handling for the higher sidewall, but there is no rubbing and I've not had to align the front end since replacing the 18" rims.

#4 ·
Why are you putting a narrower tire on. 245 is the proper width. Add to the middle number, don't decrease the width. go to tire rack and look at the diameter of a stock size tire. Then get the same width with an aspect ratio of maybe 10 more (24.5cm) and you have what you want. Many of us did that with our 18" rims. There are threads on it. It changed the speedometer too so beware. You are going faster than it says.

#5 ·
I dont want narrower, but id like higher sidewall. So i'd keep the rims 17, or maybe going down to 16 but if a 225/60 fits no problem i'd would be happy. Current calculated tyre diameter is 656.8 mm, 225/60 R17 would be 701.8 mm and it seems a bit too much but i don't know.

#7 ·
225 is narrower than the 245 the car came with. Go to tire rack and look at what they say is the stock size. then add 10 to the aspect ratio - number. click on the specs and you will see the difference in diameter.

#8 ·
255/35 R20 thats too small sidewall for me. Also, i'd keep the rims, im not planning to buy new ones. Do you have rub with that size? It's about 3 cm bigger in diameter than mine.
Tommm: stock size is 225/50 R17 im absolutely sure about that. This is a D5 maybe more powerful petrol versions came with wider idk but i have stock for sure. Also the rim is 7j wide so 245 would fit, internet says the max for this width is 225. That's why i'd like 225/60 R17.

#16 · (Edited)
Diesel or gas, you are still slinging a lot of weight in the turns. I would try not to go any narrower than what they came with. If you raise the sidewall and reduce the width the lateral g force in a turn may (and I am not an engineer) push the sidewall enough that it pops off the bead. There is a video out there of a Jeep Grand Cherokee failing the moose test when the car swerves and the tire goes off the rim. The XC90 fanboys posted it in the 03-14 XC90 board a few years ago. here it is. about 1:55 into the video.

#19 ·
Our cars aren't THAT bad in cornering :D
The jeep sidewall width ratio is the aspect ration or middle number. You are looking at a narrower tire with a higher aspect ratio. Yes it would happen in extreme conditions. That's usually when people get injured. My point is why? Why go narrower, which if the outside diameter stays the same is essentially making the tire taller, and not reducing the amount of weight you are shifting laterally. Perhaps someone with an engineering background can chime in and clarify better.

Look at the lean on glue's car. I think he lowered the car before taking that picture, and the rims are bigger than what you are looking for. So, he has a lower center of gravity, and less sidewall to flex than what you are looking to do. The lean on a non lowered car would be more, and he isn't going more than about 30 mph in that picture, and there is still room to turn the steering wheel. What if you go with taller and narrower tires and at 50mph a kid runs in front of you to chase a ball. Is that extreme enough? Will the car be able....

#20 ·
Well yes, i would stay the stock width too, i was just thinking about 215 because if a 225/60 is too big and don't fit maybe a 215/60 would and it's a bit bigger than 225/55 (and they don't make for example 225/57) so i can put the highest sidewall tire it fits while only decreasing the width a little. Last year i hit a pothole and had a bump on the tire, not going even fast, so that's why im very keen on putting higher sidewall tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.