SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living in Denver, where we can get road-coating snow anywhere from October to late April, I tend towards the DWS's as something that is a good compromise. But the Bridgestone's are highly rated on Tirerack.com for performance, but less so in snow.

Anyone running the Bridgestone's and like them? The Bridgetone's I've had in the past on other cars have been generally disappointing, which is why I ask.

I do not want to go to summer/winter combo because I don't do enough mountain driving to make it worth it.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I have the DWS and used them from Boston-NYC and back during the one blizzard we got this year (in CT) and the car was totally fine. It's a good tire although I'm kinda p*ssed that they've only got 20k on them and it will be a miracle if I get another 20k on them.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
I'm running the Conti DWS's right now on my 850R and I'm really liking them. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised how well they did in the snow this year.
I can't comment on the Bridgestone RE970's.

·
Registered
272 Posts
FWIW I have 960's on both my R and my Z car. I've found them to be an excellent all weather tire, especially in the wet. Can't speak to their performance in the snow. And yes I know you're asking about the 970's but I'm now a fan of the Potenza line in general.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
I haven't run the Bridgestones on my R but have the Conti's and live in Salt Lake City. I have been very happy with them in the snow and summer, and will probably buy them again.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have over 24K on a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE970s and I have been very happy with them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Bridgestone's are excellent tires. I have had 960/970's for years. I live in Chicago and I do exeperience winter and they perform fine in the snow. Plus, you do not need any spacers for these. (I believe you do for the Conti's) There is no wheel well rub.

The ride is comforatable and wet and dry traction are good. In addition, they aren't super loud tires.

·
Registered
876 Posts
If you want to nitpick, Bridgestone RE970 is a heavy tire.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Bridgestone pole position: best all season I've ever used. Blew my P6's out of the water.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Hankook ventus V12 Evo's if you've got a winter set (or plan to get one). They are longer lasting than the OE tires, and supposedly more comfrotable than the equivalent potenza's. Also much cheaper.. I'm having great results with these tires.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
auto123 lists the Contis 3rd overall after two Michelins in their annual rating of performance all-season tires. After using nothing but Michelins on my '98 V70 AWD, I put the DWSs on my V70 R right after I bought it last July based on ratings and price and have been quite happy so far (32,000 kms, including winter driving.)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Small but important correction - I once, based on price, used Firestone Firehawks on the V70 AWD for about a year until a rear tire shredded during high-speed, high-load summer driving. I went right back to Michelins.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I agree with the above posts-Bridgestones are one of the best performing all season tires out there! I am on my 2nd set now and had yamaha's and others in between but nothing gripped the rd across all seasons and conditions like the bridgestones. They are awesome in blizzards, rain, and dry pavement. If your looking for strictly summer tires that are also good in the rain I would suggest the yokohama advan a08s-I have them on my MR2 and I drive it yr round and they grip amazing in the dry and wet.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My first set wer Bridgestones, my second were Conti. The Bridgestones' handled better but ended up being very noisy as they wore. The Conti's were fine in the snow but I feel like they're a little soft now that it's warming up. But, the price difference is significant so I'm completely satisfied with my choice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts