SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my new 18" pegs yesterday, and they were completely and utterly flawless. I took them to a tire shop at a local dealership (that sells multiple brands of cars) that is reputable, as my local tire shop is definitely not. Anyways, the chipped/scraped/gouged two different rims on the outside edge. You can see it in these two pictures:

The dealer, of course, is saying that "he'll have his rim guy come repair them"... we told him this was unacceptable and that they needed to replace the two rims. Am I being unreasonable?

Also, the smaller gouge/chip looks like it was done by the tire "pry bar" (not sure of the correct term). However, I am unsure if the other bigger and longer one could have been caused by this.... it looks more like someone dropped it on the shop floor.

If you don't think I'm being unreasonable, what is my best course of action here? How can I get them to replace the rims?

Another thought I had was to just have them reimburse me partially, and then get the rims powder-coated. However, does anyone know any good places to get this done in the Northern Michigan area (or a national mail in place?). How much does this typically cost? I've already stretched my budget from the new rim/tire purchase, so I can;t be spending too much more money.

All in all, what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
You go back, scream at them (you don't have to, but it makes it more effective) however if they damaged it they have to fix/replace it.. That's why shops charge so much :) they have insurance for a reason.

You will get your wheels fixed, and possibly even some money back on the tires.

The sooner you go back the better. My buddy had a similar issue and they gave him 500$ to have all of his wheels powdercoated, and they gave him all 4 tires for free

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Brand new wheels? Absolutely no "repairs".
They screwed up (and big time) those are nasty, so they'll have to cough up for new wheels
Paint can't be matched anyway

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Sorry for your misfortune!!! How would their wheel repair shop complete such a repair? Will the repairs be done with the tire dismounted or mounted. The paint on the Pegs is pretty thick, and like JRL said, the color will be difficult to match. I don't see them replacing the wheel unless the damage affects form, fit, or function, or the repair costs exceed replacement. But who knows...

Let this be a lesson learned to others... research the tire shop before hiring their services. For example, when I inquired about my local dealer to install my winter tires on my Pegs, I asked to see their equipment. They obliged and I saw that all the contact points were uncoated steel, therefore would leave marks on my wheels. I politely declined, explained why, and went to a different shop. I am fortunate to live near Tire Rack, where their mounting equipment (including the prybar) is vinyl coated to prevent such damage.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I agree, they damaged new wheels so they owe you 2 new wheels. No reason you should settle for repaired wheels when they are at fault.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I had nearly the same thing happen. Without going into details, I calmly thanked them for the labor and "said mistakes happen, that's why there's insurance", and asked them to go ahead and get the claim paperwork moving.

You purchased new wheels, they installed new wheels. Replace them with new wheels.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'd simply tell them that I have scratched rims at home and that I bought these at high price to enjoy in them.
If they want to repair the damage then they have to repaint all 4 to keep them equal, and give me their warranty for the pain work and repair for as much as the OEM Volvo warranty would cover it.

If not then two new rims.
If not then a set of Toyo proxxis r888 and a full tank in their most powerful car :) and you promise you won't scratch it! :D
I'd **** some nice ass on the rear seet in that car too, and cum all over the car ;) ask for some condoms when they / if they give you that option.

That would do!

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I had this happen at Town Fair when I purchased my new pegs they brought me back and told me they were "shipped" like that....yeah I find that terribly hard to believe. After just about strangling the manager they got corp on the phone who told them to cut a check for the amount of the wheels in total and I got the service for free at another store....who did a great job :)

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
pft. You could take those tires off, dremel off the jaggedness, slap a coat of clear over it and be fine. I've got MUCH worse rash on mine than that. You can't even see that looking directly at the wheel.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
You go back, scream at them (you don't have to, but it makes it more effective)...
Screaming is especially effective when they have other customers waiting. ;)
Don't settle for a repair job. Full replacement!

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
That's Horse-**** right there. Tell them you want them replaced or else.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Had this happen to me when I brought a set of brand new IPD Peg Reglica 19's in to get their new shoes. Took pictures (thankfully) before I brought them in and when I got them back and saw that 3 of the 4 were damaged (though some were slight, one or two scratches were very deep), I made it very clear that replacement was the only option. The reason why wasn't to be a dick about the scratch, it was because if / when I decide to sell the rims, I would have to sell them as "refinished" rather than "new" and take a corresponding hit in value. The person that de-valued them (by damaging them) needs to compensate you appropriately.

I found the shop's policy on damages, etc. and highlighted the section that said "No Scratch Guarantee", showed the manager the before and after pictures and let him know that there was only one right way to handle the situation. I got new replacements on their dime, gave them the chance to re-install the tires on those (you can bet that they were a little more careful this time) and they came out great. I still do business there but they know to be careful with my car. I don't steer anybody away from them either (since they made it right) as long as they are sure to be clear with the shop tech / manager that they will check for scratches before any work is done :)

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
^^ and that's how it's done. Well played sir.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Shops will do and say anything especially if your not someone to stand your ground.. Legally they owe you the money for the products they damaged and also you get to keep what they damaged.. Don't let them buy the rims go get prices from Volvo and show them the cost.. These guys have connections and will end up getting you reconditioned rims and you'll have no idea.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts