SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope somebody can give me a little direction on this one, as it is the weirdest thing.<p>I have a 2004 S60R. The OEM Pirellis lasted around 20K miles, at which point the inner rears started to split. I put a set of Dunlop 245/40/18 run-flats on there. They fit beautifully and despite my fears, only rubbed right at the steering lock. Naturally the originals didn't rub anywhere.<p>Well, partially due to neglect of the alignment on my part, I wore out the Dunlops to the point of no return in barely 15K miles. In a pinch, I put a set of Goodyear 245/40/18 Eagle F1 all-seasons on there - I noticed the rubbing immediately when pulling out of there. They were so bad, they even rubbed going around corners in the neighborhood. At that point I had the alignment done to ensure I didn't trash the new tires, and maybe subconsciously hoped for a miracle on the rubbing, which didn't happen. I then talked Discount Tire into switching them out for the same Goodyear tires, but in the OEM 235/40 size. It didn't take long to realize those rubbed nearly as badly.<p>Finally I went back to Discount (armed with a lot of Internet postings as backup) to inform them that the thicker sidewall design on those Goodyears was causing rubbing in a lot of cars. After some finagling, I got them to agree to order me up a set of the OEM Pirelli P-Zero Rossos. With great anticipation, I went over there after they finally showed up, and lo and behold, they rub too!<p>These are supposedly the exact same tires I had on the car when I got it. I've never had any front-end accident, or hit any unusual road hazards that I know of. Yet, these things rub at barely 2/3 wheel turn, so pretty much every time I park, u-turn, or take a tight corner! The rubbing is light enough to where I'm sure its just up against the plastic housing on the inside, and I can't see any protrusions or anything shining a flashlight in there, so I'm not all that concerned about doing harm. But it makes my car sound like a junker and my passengers are constantly shooting me puzzled looks like "wth was that?!!".<p>Any ideas? I'm thoroughly confounded. Thanks!

·
Registered
16,965 Posts
yes the stock tire size with the stock wheels with the stock everything will rub. <p>

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (Chilled Man)

Thanks for the reply, but as I mentioned in my original post, the stock tires NEVER rubbed, not even at full lock.<p>Even when I went 10mm wider with the 245 Dunlops, they only rubbed at full steering lock, but so lightly it was almost not even noticable.<p>It was only after replacing those Dunlops with Goodyears (and subsequently getting an alignment) that pretty much EVERY tire, including the OEM, rubs all the time.<p>Is it possible that something done during the course of a wheel alignment could cause this? I know the Goodyears were already rubbing at the time I did it, but those were 245s with really thick sidewalls, so perhaps those were destined to rub all along.<p>Any advice greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
404 Posts
nothing during the alignment could have caused the rubbing. Rubbing is so common that Volvo actually mounted metal plates to the inside of the fender liners to keep the tires from tearing up the plastic liners.<p>If your interested in stopping the noise, add some washers behind the steering stop bumpers mounted to the subframe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (Turb04S60)

Thank you for your response.<p>Listen, I really do get on every level that perhaps rubbing is not uncommon.<p>What I don't get (and evidently nor does anybody else) is that through 36,000 miles and 2 sets of tires, I had ZERO, NADA, ZILCH rubbing (sorry to cap out, but I must be doing a bad job of communicating the point.)<p>For the last ~5k miles, only after the last tire switch and subsequent alignment, has it started. Thus, something changed in this car in the past 6 months, after about 48 months of basically flawless operation.<p>I would dearly like to know what if anything could have changed to cause this, and if so, what can be done to reverse it.<p>No offense to anybody, but answers like "wear headphones" or "its normal" or "its caused by sun spots" are entertaining, appreciated, but entirely unhelpful.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (Moja)

<B>Different tires RUB</B>, Do YOU get it?<br>You bought a tire that has a wider tread block, same "size" tire but they're not.<br>Some tires can be up to an inch wider.<br>Buy some 5mm spacers, eliminate the rub

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (JRL)

JRL,<p>I don't know if you read the entire first post, but I now am back to the identical, Pirelli P-Zero Rosso OEM tires, and the identical 235/40/18 size. I did this because of the exact reason you stated in your post, which is that I assumed no matter what the CLAIMED size of the Goodyears, they had a thicker bead around the rim and looked fatter even in the same size, and that was probably the cause.<p>However, I'm back to the IDENTICAL tire that came on the car. The only thing I can think of is that something has changed on the car, or Pirelli might have changed their tire design to also be fatter (they don't look any different, and some very high-res photos that I took back in the day seem to back up that they fill the wheel wells identically.)<p>Sigh.<p>Sorry if I'm so frustrated... I tried to do a masterful job of describing the problem but it seems like a fruitless effort. Maybe its just time to go get a 335i.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Hey everyone I have an 02 s60 with a set of R wheels on it and had the notorious tire rub. I put some 1/4" nylon spacers on the steering bump stops to help it and was not successful. Out of necessity needed to replace my control arm busings to get the car to take an alignment. A friend of a friend races Volvo's and said the 17 wheels destroy the stock busings so I went with a set of powerflex urethane busings and not only does the car handle better the wheels no longer rub. Thinking about it there is so much pressure on the front bushing that the 1/4" movement with a pry bar would exacerbated by the load of the car causing the tire to hit the front inner fender. <p>I just thought I would pass it along, if you are going to do the install let me know I found a few tricks to make it easier.<p>

·
Registered
36 Posts

If you get a 335 i just be ready to replace every, I mean every, part of the cooling system at around 85 - 95k. The BMW are a better performance car to "drive" but I would say the Volvo over all is a better car to own from a function, comfort, and economic perspective.<p>Just my opnion but I have tank both cars on road trips and I was surprised when the back seat did not fold down and is an option on the car and how much more comfortable the Volvo seats were.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Moja</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">JRL,<p>However, I'm back to the IDENTICAL tire that came on the car. The<br>.</TD></TR></TABLE><br>Gotcha sorry.<br>Anything could have happened as your car gets older, springs sag a bit, struts sag or your camber could be a hair off causing the tire to "tilt" a bit.<br><B>There's no room for error </B>as these cars were not designed for a tire this large.<p><U>Your steering stops could be a bit worn, check them, adjust and LUBE them</U><p><B>As I said, install a set of 5 mm spacers and you should be fine</B><br>I ran 235/40/18's (Michelins) on my R, <U>lowered </U> but with 5mm spacers and I nad NO RUB whatsoever

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (JRL)

JRL,<p>It's odd, because it literally went from zero rub to constant rubbing instantly. But thanks for the suggestions - I'll have a buddy get it up on his lift and take a look-see at the steering stops, and if we can't improve things, I'll go for the spacers. Thanks for the advice!<p>Any chance anybody has a link to where I could buy the spacers?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Moja</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>Any chance anybody has a link to where I could buy the spacers?</TD></TR></TABLE><p><A HREF="http://www.ipdusa.com/version.asp?strPageHistory=category&numSearchStartRecord=0&strParents=74,509&P_ID=3286&CAT_ID=509&V_ID=7624" TARGET="_blank">http://www.ipdusa.com/version....=7624</A><p><br>With 5mm spacers you can use your stock lugs or if you prefer order the 5mm longer but it isn't needed.<br>

·
Registered
404 Posts
I realize that you put "the exact same tires on" that came with the car, but did it ever occur to you that, in an effort to stay with current technology, they updated the tire over the course of 5 years?

·
Registered
36 Posts

I just want to throw this out, I went from tire rub to no tire rub by swapping out the control arm bushings. I was not chasing the tire rub issue I was just tired of changing these dam things every 30k and I gave the urethane parts a try. <p>This worked in my application so I can't say it will work with yours. Seriously look at the flex of the hydraulic bushings on the front of the control are and look at how far the wheel will move. I am not a geometry expert but I know if I move the pivot point by a 1/8" the pick up at the end of the control arm where the hub mounts will be considerable greater than the movement at the bushing. Plus all torque/brake steer are eliminated. <br>

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Turb04S60</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I realize that you put "the exact same tires on" that came with the car, but did it ever occur to you that, in an effort to stay with current technology, they updated the tire over the course of 5 years?</TD></TR></TABLE><p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Moja</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">However, I'm back to the IDENTICAL tire that came on the car. The only thing I can think of is that something has changed on the car, or Pirelli might have changed their tire design to also be fatter (they don't look any different, and some very high-res photos that I took back in the day seem to back up that they fill the wheel wells identically.)</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Yes, and I clearly stated it. Perhaps you could dispense with the condescending "did it occur to you" admonishments until you at least study the full thread.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had tire rub from both the Conti ProContacts and the Conti Extreme Contacts I ran in the car. I then installed Michelin Primacys in the OEM size and all rubbing immediately ceased. <p>FWIW.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (Bender)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Bender</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">36k on the car you likely need new strut mounts... that could be the issue.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Bender, thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to see if I can get the car up on a lift today and I'll post anything I learn so that hopefully my experience can help other owners.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Moja</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>Bender, thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to see if I can get the car up on a lift today and I'll post anything I learn so that hopefully my experience can help other owners.</TD></TR></TABLE><br>My pleasure - rubbing isnt rare, and could simply be the car settling over time but if you have an "issue" this is one place to check

1 - 20 of 36 Posts