SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why are the rear tires stuck?! what is holding them.

i removed the 5 bolts.. but the wheel wont come off.

the front came off like nothing.. which is normal. what is holding the rear wheel?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by GShyneDM:
why are the rear tires stuck?! what is holding them.

i removed the 5 bolts.. but the wheel wont come off.

the front came off like nothing.. which is normal. what is holding the rear wheel?

thanks
There is probably some rust built up and that can give you the impression that it is stuck. Well, it is but not permanently. Here is what you can do: Stand right in front of the wheel. Turn the wheel so that the valve stem is almost on the bottom, at 5 o' clock. Keep you eyes square on the Volvo emblem (center of the wheel). Back up STRAIGHT (this is important!) 5 steps. Not 4 not 6. FIVE! Keep your eyes now fixed on the valve stem which should still be at 5 o' clock. Take a deep breath, take one step forward and as you are ready to go through the 2nd step (you are still 3 away) launch yourself in the air and think that you are Bruce Lee ready to kick some major a$$. Make sure that your kicking leg is not locked straight, you should have a 135-degree angle at the knee joint. Make sure your foot hits the tire right below the valve stem. As you land, stay away from the falling tire. Admire your work and enjoy the feeling that you are VERY STRONG! It never fails!

Yannis

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Corrosion is likely when two dissimilar metals come in contact for long periods of time (alloy wheel and iron hub). If the wheel is steel, then it's rust. You can relieve the problem by smearing some thick grease, preferably water proof marine grease on the hub where the wheel contacts it. The problem is usually concentrated at the hub-centric ring that the wheel actually mounts on.

The flying leap described above would make me a little nervous with the car sitting on a jack. Just sit down in front of the wheel and kick the tire. Alternate from the left side to the right side, increasing force with each kick until it comes off (notice I don't say how many kicks it will take. sometimes they are REALLY stuck)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts