SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an Uber/Lyft driver part time. I have a 2012 XC60 T6 AWD with the standard 235/60/18 tires. I drive about 35,000 miles/year. My car currently has 170,000 miles.

When I got my car, it came with Hankook Dynapro HP2s, which were fine until it rained. Nearly crashed 3 times due to their horrible wet traction. Once they were worn out, I went for the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02. At $108/each with a 65k treadlife warranty, they were a steal. Gas mileage improved by about 2 MPG (A huge boon for Uber drivers) dry handling improved and they're completely unfazed by wet roads. Even ride quality improved. The only complaint about them is that they're SO. DAMN. NOISY. Also, at 40,000 miles, I've been refused a rotation due to low remaining tread. Well short of the warranty and they're gone. I will not be getting these again.

Therefore I need a new set. Reading reviews is pretty useless, as they all contradict each other and I don't want to make an expensive bad decision. Michelins are supposed to be great, but seem to suffer from early wear issues. Read the same about Bridgestone. The last thing I want is a tire that's twice as expensive but only lasts half as long.

I want a tire that performs as well as the HTRs, but lasts a bit longer and is quieter. Preferably something that doesn't cost $1000 per set, though I am NOT averse to paying for quality.

All that in mind, what thoughts/experiences/advice might you have for someone with serious anxiety and poor decision making?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just got Continental Premium Contact 6 in 235/60/18 and I love them. Great wet and dry grip, long life as they suggest is expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 XC60 D5 Inscription w. Polestar tune
2011 XC60 D5 Summum

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
Following this as I am about to order a new set for my car. The ones I have on there now, Pirelli Scorpions, have gotten really loud after only around 17k miles. The tires look cupped- I am suspecting my alignment is out. I have had a good experience with the General RT43 on my XC70 so that's the one I'm leaning toward but am also looking at the Vredestein Quartrac 5.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have had 5 sets of tires on my XC60 and I currently run Continental DWS06 on my car size 235/60R18. I love them. Stick like glue in the dry and do not slip or hydroplane even in the wettest of conditions. I highly recommend them and have been the best set I have ever had on the car.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Continental or Michelin then a proper alignment.

DO NOT buy Yokohama or Pirelli on your P3 vehicle. They all eventually cup and cause horrendous road noise. If I had a $1 for every car with bad/loud road noise with either of these two tires, I would be on an island somewhere.

I ripped the Pirelli tires off both of my brand new SPA vehicles and put Continentals from day 1... HIGHLY recommend them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have had 5 sets of tires on my XC60 and I currently run Continental DWS06 on my car size 235/60R18. I love them. Stick like glue in the dry and do not slip or hydroplane even in the wettest of conditions. I highly recommend them and have been the best set I have ever had on the car.
I am from EU so I guess you don’t have same models as we do. We don’t get these Conties here. My 2018 XC60 came with ContiSportContact 5 but on 235/55/19 and I bought Conti PremiumContact 6 for 2011 XC60

2011 XC60 D5 Summum

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got Continental Premium Contact 6 in 235/60/18 and I love them. Great wet and dry grip, long life as they suggest is expected.

2011 XC60 D5 Summum
They do not offer those here in the US in 235/60/18. They look good though. Enjoy!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Following this as I am about to order a new set for my car. The ones I have on there now, Pirelli Scorpions, have gotten really loud after only around 17k miles. The tires look cupped- I am suspecting my alignment is out. I have had a good experience with the General RT43 on my XC70 so that's the one I'm leaning toward but am also looking at the Vredestein Quartrac 5.
Perfect. Pirelli scorpion verde is out (for the second time lol) have had generals on a previous vehicle and liked them, but not the RT43. How many miles have they done on your XC70 and do they seem loud?

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
Perfect. Pirelli scorpion verde is out (for the second time lol) have had generals on a previous vehicle and liked them, but not the RT43. How many miles have they done on your XC70 and do they seem loud?
There's probably 15k on them at this point and they are pretty quiet.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Continental or Michelin then a proper alignment.

DO NOT buy Yokohama or Pirelli on your P3 vehicle. They all eventually cup and cause horrendous road noise. If I had a $1 for every car with bad/loud road noise with either of these two tires, I would be on an island somewhere.

I ripped the Pirelli tires off both of my brand new SPA vehicles and put Continentals from day 1... HIGHLY recommend them.
I have lifetime alignments from Firestone. Paid for itself in less than a year. :D Is a 2012 XC60 a P3? I originally thought it was, then I was told it was a P2 by the indy I go to. Not arguing, just seeking clarification. Thoughts on the Conti TrueContactTour?

A semi mechanic raised a good point to me today: My Sumitomos have improved my mileage due to their rotations per minute. 725 as opposed to 714 for every other tire in the category. (Info obtained via TireRack) He said it's like going from 22in low profiles to 24.5" on a big rig - it's akin to changing your gearing. He said seeing a mileage jump of 1.5 - 2 MPG would be attained by that type of change, as opposed to tread design.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bet they do for the price... Whoo, that's some expensive rubber! Only a 50k warranty too. For me that's 15 months, assuming they make it to the warranty. I'd be more inclined towards the Continental TrueContactTour.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
What size are they for your XC70? Do they show wear already or do they still look brand new?
They're whatever size is that fits an XC70 - 215 60 R16 or similar. I don't have the car - my son drives it and doesn't live at home anymore so I can't check for wear. We visited him a few weeks ago and they looked and rode fine though I didn't inspect them closely.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
I have lifetime alignments from Firestone. Paid for itself in less than a year. :D Is a 2012 XC60 a P3? I originally thought it was, then I was told it was a P2 by the indy I go to. Not arguing, just seeking clarification. Thoughts on the Conti TrueContactTour?

A semi mechanic raised a good point to me today: My Sumitomos have improved my mileage due to their rotations per minute. 725 as opposed to 714 for every other tire in the category. (Info obtained via TireRack) He said it's like going from 22in low profiles to 24.5" on a big rig - it's akin to changing your gearing. He said seeing a mileage jump of 1.5 - 2 MPG would be attained by that type of change, as opposed to tread design.
Yes, your car is a P3. Please go to a different mechanic if he insists your car is a P2.;)

·
Registered
879 Posts

ALL xc60's are P3 until 2018 and then they became SPA.

Sumitomo, General, Kuhmo.... they're all budget junk tires. The cheapest tire I could recommend if money is an issue is Hankook. We put these on a few pre-owned vehicles during the recondition process and they all seemed to last pretty well. The tire is the MOST important part of your vehicle next to brakes.... DO NOT SKIMP. I can not tell you how much I detest seeing "roll good" or some other cheap crappy brand on a newer Volvo.

Yes, your car is a P3. Please go to a different mechanic if he insists your car is a P2.;)
^^ this

·
Registered
265 Posts

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
I bet they do for the price... Whoo, that's some expensive rubber! Only a 50k warranty too. For me that's 15 months, assuming they make it to the warranty. I'd be more inclined towards the Continental TrueContactTour.
That's the tire I'm zeroing in on as well. Tirerack has them for $656 a set delivered. After mounting, balancing and alignment I should be at around $800 or so and if they lasted 30k miles I'd be thrilled, lol.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ALL xc60's are P3 until 2018 and then they became SPA.

Sumitomo, General, Kuhmo.... they're all budget junk tires. The cheapest tire I could recommend if money is an issue is Hankook. We put these on a few pre-owned vehicles during the recondition process and they all seemed to last pretty well. The tire is the MOST important part of your vehicle next to brakes.... DO NOT SKIMP. I can not tell you how much I detest seeing "roll good" or some other cheap crappy brand on a newer Volvo.

^^ this
My car had Hankook Dynapro HP2s on it when I got it. Downright hazardous in the rain. They had 30k on them when I got the car and made it another 30, but God, TC light flashed any time the roads were wet. Even with AWD, taking off uphill from a stop took a concerted effort to not spin out. The only issue I have with the Sumitomos is noise. Even 2/32 in the front and 3/32 in the back, NO wet traction issues. Would go back to a different model Hankook though. In the dry and even snow they were fine. But in Tennessee, we get rain, not snow.

LOL roll good. I like "road Hugger GTX" ROFL. It really is astonishing how many people think all tires are exactly the same and shop based strictly on price and price alone. That's why I started this thread.

Money isn't the real issue. I mean it's never not an issue per se, but the big problem is that, in an effort to get a cheaper product, companies like Wal-Mart negotiate huge quantities of tires from, say, Michelin. Michelin won't deny the business, but WalMart won't give them any money for them, so they shut the product line down, retool, and use cheaper materiels. Remington does it for the shotgun shells they sell to Wal Mart. But so many companies do this that it's hard to know which product hasn't been modified to have inferior quality. Wal Mart has their brand of Michelin. NTB has their brand of Michelin, along with Pep Boys, but who's actually selling REAL Michelin tires? I suspect this is why you have people complaining about premature wear. Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone, etc. want to have their name out there as the OEM supplier, but the manufacturers don't want to pay full price, so they get inferior quality. I have NO qualms about paying for quality, but how do you ensure quality? If the Costco Michelin tires wear just as fast as the roll goods, why would anyone pay $225/ea for the Michelins? Of course, the Michelins are actually better, but read reviews. Most of these people buy brand new cars and are hit with a $1000 set of tires after 25k miles, and are justifiably PISSED. So they never buy the Michelins again, not knowing that REAL ones will last their advertised mileage.

So my goal here is value. To get what I pay for and have a product that is as (or better than) advertised. So if a set of tires exists that ride like a cloud, grip great wet and dry, nearly silent, and last 75k, I'll pay whatever they cost. But I don't want to pay good money for anything that falls short of expectations.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Today, I had to replace the Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires that came on my vehicle when new. Despite being conscientious about rotation and scrupulously maintaining the correct pressures, I only got 23K out of them. Very disappointing. I'm interested as to how this compares with others who have run the same tires.
Put new Continental Cross Contacts on today. Film at 11.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts